Chapter 11: Disaster

I wake up to my alarm to press snooze to wake up five minutes later, but bolt up in shock that Chris wasn't in the room anymore. I then thought that maybe he's just somewhere else in the house; so I tried listening on in.

No use, I didn't hear a single squeak...

Smelling something delectable, I went to the kitchen to see that he had prepared some waffles for me. Besides the plate was a note.

'Good morning Jade!

I'll be out early today to run some errands, so I won't be able to bring you to work today. You can take the car, because I'm driving my motorbike today.

See you when you get out from work!

Chris'

Did he do this to escape from me? Does he not want to see my face? So he is somewhat mad at me? I can't bare to think of any more negative thoughts right now. But, he may not be all that mad, since he prepared breakfast for me and left me a note, right?

I was getting a little paranoid, but hey, he has some important errands to run, and we will meet later tonight! Hopefully...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Arriving at work today, I receive a shock upon entering my office.

"SURPRISE~!!!" my friends shouted, "HAPPY 26th BIRTHDAY JADE~!!!"

"What?" my eyes widened in shock, I was clueless!

"What do you mean 'what'?" laughed Luke.

"Don't tell me you didn't know that today was your very own birthday?!" scoffed Kelly.

"I-I don't know what to say... I guess it slipped my mind?" I chocked out a laugh and glanced over to the calendar and saw that today was indeed September 29th, my birth date.

"Wait wait wait... 'Slipped my mind'?" commented Fredrick.

"Pfft! As if you weren't greeted before us." proclaimed Hazel. But I just looked at them, like I had no idea of what they were talking about. I then checked my phone to see that my other friends and family had messaged me their special greetings as well.

I waved my phone in the air and laughed at me being oblivious. "Sorry guys, just checked my phone..." I blushed.

"Don't tell me," inquired Cecilia with a worried tone, "Chris didn't greet you today?"

...Oh...

I froze, literally, I couldn't think of anything else. Before we lived together, Chris would usually be the first one to either text or call me to greet me on my birthday, but now, as if it was a regular day, he left without even greeting me. Not even an 'I love you'.

Quickly scanning through my messages, my knees grew weak and I fell to the ground, causing my friends to panic. "Not even a text." I mumbled.

The girls then comforted me as I sit on the floor, motionless and emotionless.

I was broken.

"You know what?" spoke out Kelly, "Maybe he's actually planning a surprise for you right now!"

Staring at the blank white floor, I mumbled in a monochrome tone, "He didn't even contact me yesterday. Also, last night, his back was turned from me while I laid in bed. Staring at his wide dark back the entire time until I fell asleep."

And before I knew it, a fresh set of tears came pouring down my cheeks. Everyone felt sad that I was in this state, the last time they saw me like this was when I heard my most beloved pet dog died a year and a half ago. I didn't even break down like this when Chris and I had fights in the past. It's like him not talking to me or giving me a reason to anything just packs more of a punch.