Chapter 55: Three Days

Today's the fourth day Jade's been stuck in this room, unconscious. I have been staying with her the entire time, as I volunteered to watch over her the most than letting the nurses do it.

Kelly mostly came to check too, also bringing me something to eat since I refused to leave Jade while she wasn't awake yet. Although, I wouldn't have quite the appetite since I was more worried about Jade than I was about having something inside my stomach.

After munching on a little sandwich I had for lunch, I sat back down on the chair close to Jade after cleaning up. I sat there and just stared at her. I would just stare at her for minutes. It was like that sometimes when I'd wake up earlier than her too. I would just stare at Jade and smile as I would caress her sleeping face. But now, it just brings me so much pain to see my love in this condition.

Several minutes later, I finally moved from my state and motioned to slowly take a hold of Jade's hand. Her hand was warm, but her fingertips were a little cold. Jade was always like this since she easily got cold. Her feet, hands, ears, and even nose were the parts that always easily got cold even to the touch when she was exposed in that kind of temperature. Although she easily got cold, she hated the scorching heat more. Who wouldn't? Right?

What seemed like hours, I then placed her hand back down, which was now warm to the tips because of me. I then sat up straight and did a little prayer for Jade, I did so at least three times a day since this happened. I just can't relax since I know that she's not really fine.

When I finished my prayer, I then took the novel I was reading yesterday off the table next to me and continued from where I left off. Kelly gave it to me sometime yesterday in order for me not to get 'too bored' just sitting there, doing nothing and staring at Jade and the same old things inside the room. Its was a nice book and a good way to keep me awake, but it didn't help me to not worry about Jade.

Somewhere around the last pages of the book, my long awaited miracle happened, "Chris...?" she called out to me softly in a sore voice. My eyes then widened from the call and my eyes stayed glued to the two words I just read, 'that was'. Yeah. Sounds super lame, but I was so in shock, it felt it I was paralyzed with glee.

I then slowly turned to look towards Jade to see her sleepily looking my way with a gentle smile. "Jade...?" I called out her name, trying not to sound so desperate, but really relieved she was awake right now.

She gave me a warmer smile and suddenly apologized, "I'm sorry you had to witness something so pathetic. I didn't want you to worry. I'm sorry if I caused you so much trouble."

"What the h*ll are you saying sorry for?" I forced out a smile, trying to act as cool as can be, but trying to fight back the happy tears that really wanted to come flowing out. "You have nothing to be sorry for Jade. Things like this just happen. It can't be helped. But you have no right to apologize for this. I was really scared, you know?"

Jade then reached out her hand towards me wobbly and I caught it for her. "I'm sorry Chris, I didn't mean to make you cry. Please don't cry. I'm sorry." She said, looking so down. I just then notice my tears once a few drops fell on my hand that was holding Jade's.

Quickly, I wiped away my tears, "Please don't apologize. It's not your fault. I'm just really happy that you're awake and talking to me right now."

"How long was I unconscious for?"

"Three days."

She giggled, "Three days?"

I got a little upset. "Why are you laughing?!"

"Chris..." she started with a little teasing smile, "Which was more painful? You waiting for me to wake up from the days of sleep? Or me waiting for you to wake up from three weeks of sleep? Hmm?"

"..." I wanted to say something, but just held it in, since I knew that what she went through for me was a lot more harder to endure than what I am for her right now.

"Even though it was only three days, I know you still suffered as much, right?"

I nodded.

"I apologize for making you worry, and for not telling you about this in the first place."

"Please stop apologizing about every little detail. None of what has happened was your fault, and you not telling me about your condition, you must have a good reason, right?"

Jade sighed first before telling me the details, "The truth is, I never really wanted anyone to know. Just my parents were enough. By the time I was diagnosed with this at the age of seventeen, seeing my parents worried and depressed over me because of it broke my heart so much. I dreamt of becoming a different kind of doctor in the past, but when I learned about my condition, I had a change of heart. I thought that maybe an incurable disease like this could have some way of being curable."

"You have done so much for this hospital too. You are a very smart doctor, and I always trust you. You even found a cure for my heart condition! You put me first than your own self." I say as I place her hand on my cheek.

"When you love someone, you want whats best for them first rather than yourself, right? Besides, I did work on my state as well. I just prioritized you first. The others just found out by chance. Luke back in college, and my colleagues while I was on duty. All of them found out when I was feeling weak. I haven't told my parents about my status right now with me being pregnant, since I know they'd freak out. Most especially my mom."

"But you have to tell them Jade! What if it might be-...!!!" I swallow my words and bite my lip, not wanting to spew those filthy lines.

"What if this might be the last time they'll ever see or hear from me?"

I clicked my tongue at the words, "Please don't say that. It won't be the last. I won't let it. But if it is, God forbid it happens, I still want you to tell your parents about it."

"Alright... I will, Chris. Don't worry."

I thank her, then wanted to ask her the dire question. "What... What are y-your thoughts..."

"Thoughts about what?" she asks.

"What are your thoughts about our unborn baby?"