Chapter 16: Extended

"You seem cuter than usual today Jade. What's up?" scoffs Luke as I was working while humming off one of Chris' songs in my head.

I stop on what I'm doing to face him, "Oh... Nothing much..." I say in a tune and go back to face my data sheets.

"Pssh! Don't give me that bluff. C'mmon! Won't you tell ol' Lucky here?" he pointed at himself which made me laugh.

It was obvious that I was happy today. Or more like it was me super looking forward to either tonight or tomorrow. I don't know when it'll be... But Chris is coming back to California~! It's already been a week, and I've endured so much being alone at home. I think I kinda understand how Chris feels while he waits for me at home while I'm at work.

But he calls me at least five times a day, so we're doing okay even with this distance between us. But he still has to make up for the sudden news he declared so early on that morning!

Being at home alone for the past days made me lonely and bored. Mostly, I just continued my research at home. But when I didn't feel like doing my research, I mostly baked or played games on our x-box. One thing I can say is, the kitchen sure smells sweet! Hahaha...

"Lucky!" I retorted.

"What?" he laughs, "It's not like you've ever kept secrets from me before, now have you Jadey?"

"I-!" I swallowed in what I wanted to say first, but changed it, "You don't know that!" I said in return as I stuck my tongue out like a little kid.

He smirks.

Oh gosh! When he smirks, it's like he can already read through my lies!

"Oh contrare..." he starts as he turns his chair to face me, places one leg over the other, and props his elbow on the armrest to lay his chin on his hand. "I can read through those squinty little eyes of yours that you are indeed hiding something from me now." he says teasingly.

I don't know what's come over me, but I start to feel my cheeks burning up. Realizing just that, I quickly turn away to hide my embarrassing expression from him, "F-Fine! I a-am hiding something from you!"

Oh glob! My voice is obvious enough too!

I then freeze as I hear Luke getting up from his chair and the sound of the taps of his shoes as it gets nearer and nearer.

Don't you dare do anything stupid Luke Ritter!

The anxiety is making me blush some more. "Won't you face me and tell me what you are hiding?" he asks me in a raspy voice which just makes me even more nervous and causes my entire face to heat up.

Curse you Lucky with your model-looking face and body, and your actor-sounding voice! You're making me tense over here!

"U-Uhm... F-Facing y-you now is k-kinda impossible..." I stuttered.

"Hmm?" he says as I then hear him walking someplace else. Great! Just great! He's in front of me right now! He places his hands on both my armrests and zooms in to tease me, "Now can you tell me properly?"

My eyes widen at him being so close. I couldn't take the intensity, so I covered my face with both my hands and scold him, "Luke! Stop making me feel so uneasy! You'll make me faint or something from all this pressure!"

It was then quiet all of a sudden. It made me uncomfortable. "Lu-" I was about to call out, when I feel his hands on my head and he starts to tousle my hair. I take my hands away and whine as I try to stop him, "H-Hey! Quit it!"

When he finally stopped, he chuckled and commented, "You can be so cute on times like these Jade. If only you've never met Chris, I could've been your knight in shinning armor. I am loyal and I'll never ever betray you or make you feel sad!"