Chapter 52: Pulmonary Fibrosis

"Jade has Pulmonary Fibrosis." states Kelly with a sorrowful expression.

"Pulmonary Fibrosis is one of a family of related diseases called interstitial lung diseases that can result in lung scarring." explains Hazel.

"Her asthma could have most likely, probably been the main source of why she has this problem."

"There is a cure for that right?" I ask, trying to brighten myself up.

"It is believed that there is no cure for pulmonary fibrosis, but some new treatments can slow the worsening of the disease in some people." Kelly explains and my emotions hits rock bottom right now.

"That kind of news doesn't reassure me of anything." I say, looking like a a statue with a dead expression on my face.

Why didn't Jade tell me anything about this? Why has she told them and not me? Does she not trust me completely?

"I'm sorry Chris, but I guess that's all we know. Luke knows more about the details, and Hazel and I have only eavesdropped. So you should go and ask him."

So she told that d**ch*b*g and not me?! Is he more special to you then???

"Chris!" says Cecilia as she slaps both my cheeks together, "Whatever you're thinking in that pathetic mind of yours, STOP. Stop assuming things until you've heard the entire story, your face shows it, you know!?"

My eyes widened as I looked at the three of them. You're right... I was getting ahead of myself, throwing a few bad assumptions here and there... "I'm sorry... I'll wait for Luke."

Cecilia then gives me a relieved smile, "Good. Just be patient and no negative thoughts."

"That'll be hard, but I'll try."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It's now nearing four in the afternoon, and nurses and a few doctors have been going in and out of Jade's operating room, except for Luke and Fredrick. The two of them are doing their best to help Jade. Many of the doctors who have been coming and going have been telling me to stay strong and that they will save Jade.

Jade has been a big influence to a bunch of people in this hospital. One, she's a bright person and always wants good news to happen. Two, she's helped a lot of her other colleagues here and enlightened them on problems. Three, she's a really smart girl who has developed new medicine and is still researching on more possible cures. And lastly, she's a beautiful person inside and out, admired a lot for that by many.

No one would dare want to loose someone like that in their lives. Be it a colleague, a friend, a family member, or even your significant other.

Dozens of thoughts later, doctors and nurses slowly start to exit the operating room one by one and I look at their faces anxious for good news. Some of them are avoiding eye contact, and some give me wary smiles. I am still not content.

Minutes later, Fredrick and Luke leave the room. I then bolt up from my seat and rush impatiently towards them. "Chris!" Fredrick starts, but then stops and gives me an apprehensive expression and continues, "You know what... I'll leave the explaining to Luke." he says as he gives Luke a pat on the back and waves me a goodbye before walking away.

"Let's talk in a more private room, shall we?" he suggests and I follow him into the viewing room where, separated by a huge glass wall, I can see Jade in the other room lying asleep in bed with a few contraptions hooked up to her.

"Have a seat." Luke says, gesturing to the chair beside him. "First of all. Jade and the child are safe. They are not in any danger, for now. We are also not sure as to when she'll wake up. But rest assured, nurses will be watching over them 24/7."