Chapter 59: Birth

"I think the baby will come way before the expected delivery date?"

 Is what Jade told me days ago, and I can't stop the feeling in my chest as every day goes by. Jade says she feels these cramps and pains like the baby wants to come out already. Her water bottle might break soon, but I can't help the anxiety of not knowing when.

We had a doctor come in to check Jade of another date to when she'd give birth, and that doctor told us it might come soon, but she doesn't know what kind of soon. But proper birth time should be happening in less than three weeks from now, not sooner than that!

Although there had been plenty of cases of mothers giving birth earlier than the expected birth date, but I don't want my child to go through that. Most especially Jade!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Today, doctor Wang came in with Kelly to check on Jade. Kelly did her usual check up and so did Dr. Wang. "It's not today either." says the doctor as she finished her check-up on Jade.

"Sorry you have to do this everyday, Lijuan." Jade apologizes.

"Please, its the least I can do for a great friend like you."

"Awe... You're sugarcoating it too much."

"I know, but I still love you Jade. Everyone does. And you still don't want to know of your child's gender?"

"No... I want to be surprised what gender the baby will be when he or she meets the world for the first time."

"Alright then. Just take the usual vitamins and get all the rest you can get."

"I will. Thanks, Lijuan!" Jade thanks Dr. Wang and she walks out the room while waving a sweet goodbye before closing the door.

"Alright... I'm done for today's check-up. Both mother and child are stable and doing well." beams Kelly in a jolly spirit, Jade just smiles and thanks her.

"Your birthday's coming up in two weeks. Want anything? Or maybe something to eat that you've missed?" I try to cut in.

"Hmmm... I'd like those cookies you made for me months ago. I missed those~!" Jade smiled oh-so-cutely, I couldn't resist to pinch her cheek. Of course she complained, but we talked more. Kelly also ended up talking to Jade for a while before getting back to her station. Jade's parents also visited her for the day and we talked plenty with them.

The day was slow, but it was a quiet, good day.

Around nine o'clock that evening, we decided to call it a day and I gave the usual words of goodnight to Jade and she did to me and I kissed her on the forehead before we both went to sleep.

I couldn't relax with the feeling that the baby will come anytime, so I slept on the chair next to Jade's bed. Thank goodness it was a couch-like chair. The luxury of private rooms!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I woke up late in the night to hear some groans and moans and someone exasperatedly calling out my name. It was Jade... 3:21 AM... Jade in pain... She says her water bottle's about to burst.

Water bottle? Burst?

...

BABY!!!!!!!!!

I quickly paged the nurses to get doctors here to bring Jade to the emergency room.

This was it! Everything happens right this moment.

[Jade's P.O.V.]

I woke up that morning feeling a lot of pain in my lower stomach area. It was a mixture of pain though, in my chest and in my stomach. All I could do was move sluggishly and groan out the pain I was feeling.

I managed to wake Chris up by calling him. I couldn't really tap him as he was farther away from my reach. When he woke up and I told him about the baby coming, he snapped and paged the nurses to bring me to the emergency room pronto.

While they wheeled me off from my current room, Chris was running by my side the entire time. He kept throwing me words of encouragement saying 'You'll be fine', 'You'll both make it', 'Stay with me' and 'Be strong' before the doctors left him outside the ER.

When inside the ER, doctors came rushing in. An Allergist was there for my asthma; Pulmonologists were there for my lungs; Dr. Wang, an Obstetrician, was there for when I would give birth; a few surgeons were there, including Fredrick; but I couldn't see Luke.

Was he busy maybe? Still working on my treatment? Or probably asleep, since its three in the morning?

Now I was really feeling it. I started screaming out in pain. Fredrick held my hand to calm me down and Lijuan was at the end waiting for the baby to come out and telling me to stay calm and breathe normally. No excessive breathing.

I'm trying. But this is making me hyperventilate!

"Stay with us Jade! Breath in and out slowly. Don't stuff the air into you! Breathe slowly." Lijuan continues to talk to me.

"You can do it Jade. You're a strong woman. You'll both make it. Stay with us. Breathe slowly." Fredrick encourages me.

"Hah... Hah... O-Okay... Hah... I will... I-AHHH!!!!" I scream out as I feel the baby making its way out.

"Calm down Jade! Breathe slowly! And push!"

The entire process was really stressful, but the pain in my belly finally ended when I heard the sweet first cries of Chris and I's first born child.

My sight is blurry, but I wanted to look at my child. My baby was still covered in blood, but Lijuan was holding her gently as she told me with a huge smile on her face, "Congratulations Jade. It's a girl!"

"A... Gi..rl..?" I managed out with a weak but happy smile.

"Yes. A happy and healthy baby girl." a tear strayed down Lijuan's cheek. I knew she was afraid of the child being not normal in a way, but turns out, the little one is perfectly healthy and beautiful.

So it's a Crystal then... Welcome to the world baby Crystal Jayden...

"I'm so... H-Hap...py..." those were the last words before my sight started to blacken out and the last thing I heard, were screams and shouting full of words and sentences I couldn't grasp well anymore.

Chris... Crystal... I'm so sorry... Mommy has to go...