Chapter 15: A Mess

I woke up to feel my pillow a bit soaked with dried up tears.

Did I cry myself to sleep earlier?

I turned to look at the desk clock and saw that the time was now half past eleven in the morning. All the energy drained out from my entire being. I just didn't want to think about it again...

The 'Goodbye' I gave Chris was rather mean, and I want to apologize for it. I mean, it is mainly his fault for not telling me in advance in the first place, but I had to accept his mistake and be reasonable with him. Besides, I've been ignoring him lately for the past few days when I'm at work. So, it kinda feels like payback for what I've made him go through?

As I wobble out of bed, I made my way to the bathroom to freshen up, and am met by the ugly truth. I am facing some sort of monstrosity... I look horrible.

My eyes were swollen and a bit red  from crying, dried tears were patterned messily on my cheeks, my hair is a mess, the clothes I wore from yesterday look dreadfully crumpled, and I seem amazingly pale.

I was a mess...

This was one part of me that I wouldn't want Chris to see.

After cleaning up in the bathroom, I fix myself up, but I still can't seem to get rid of my puffed-up eyes. So, I leave it, and avoid looking into mirrors at all cost. Pathetic, but it's true.

I then scooped up my clothes from yesterday to throw them into the washing machine, as I then make my way to the kitchen to fix me brunch. I didn't have the appetite, nor the strength to even do anything, but I had to eat to have the energy, especially since I looked pale...

So, I just took one of the cup noodles from the cupboards to heat up and eat after.

I really had no appetite, but I was forcing myself with the food. Most of the time, I was just twirling the noodles around with my fork,and thinking deeply about today.

To think Luke even gave me the day off today...

Luke really gave me a day off. I kept working my butt off with all those patients and all that data I had for nearly completing one of the medicines I was working on for a difficult curing disease. It's not incurable, but it's difficult to cure.

He told me that I needed to rest, because stressing myself out isn't good for my health. I know he's right, and  I am close to figuring out the best solution to a problem. But I also got the long sleep I needed today, so I think I'll be alright.

As I finally finished my noodle soup, I turn to see what time it is.

Since this day off was pointless, might as well go back to work...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Walking inside the office, I am greeted by a bewildered Luke, "Jadey? Why are you here? Why aren't you spending your day-off with Chris?"

I looked at him with a sad expression, then down to the floor, "He has work..."

"Oh... Wrong timing then?" he commented and I just slumped down on my chair as I stare blankly at the can that holds my pens. "That doesn't seem like a normal 'wrong timing'. What happened Jade?" Luke asks as he stands in front of my desk.

I bite my lip to prevent myself from being all emotional again. "Jade?" Luke sounds genuinely worried. Then something startled the both of us. It was my phone, and it was a text message from Chris. After reading it, I showed the text to Luke. It read:

'Hi Jade, I've just arrived in New York. I'll call you later when we've settled down. We're still getting our luggage, then its off to the hotel for us. I'm really sorry for what happened earlier this morning. I really am, please forgive me? I swear I'll make it up to you in a week! I love you! - Chris'

Luke's eyes widened, "Just arrived in New York? Sorry for this morning?! A week?!! What the bloody h*ll is this?!!" I began to tear up again, and Luke rushed to my side and knelt down to look up at me and held my hand gently to comfort me, "Jade... What happened earlier today? Can you tell me?"

I had my other hand covering my mouth as I began to weep. Luke then scooped me up into his arms and rubbed my back to comfort my grief as he lent me a shoulder to cry on. I then eventually told him everything. Luke has always helped me out in my times of difficulty in college, I wish I had an older brother like him. But he already feels like family to me...

After my weeping fest, my eyes swelled up again and Luke made me feel easy. So, we decided to go back to work. "If you ever feel the need to let all your emotions out, remember that I'll always be here for you!" Luke cheered, which made me let out a weak grin. I thanked him for his kindness and went back to concentrating on actually finishing my theoretical discoveries.

It's a good thing that Luke told Hazel and Kelly that he'd want to work alone today, cause if they were here, things would've gotten a little more intense. So, I'll just keep what happened today between me and Luke only.

The afternoon just went by with us working and talking about work. Guess Luke wanted me to forget all about it so I'd set my mind on work and not gloom over about what happened this morning.

We decided to call it a day around nine in the evening for us both to get more rest. Well, the time that we were really scheduled to finish on would either be on 8:30 or nine, but working overtime just came naturally.

Chris did call me this afternoon. But it was a short call since his manager was angrily calling for him from far away. We talked normally, and I forgave him. But he still owes me when he gets back!

While walking to where I parked my car, Luke accompanied me since his car was parked in the area as well. Before parting ways, he gave me one last hug and told me, "If you ever feel lonely, just give me a call alright?" and gave me a wink after.

I giggled, "If only Chris had seen that!"

Luke then looked around and zoomed in his face to mine which startled me, "But he didn't!" he said as he poked my nose with his pointer, "And don't tell him I did either!" he laughed nervously.

"Well, I don't want another fight, so I won't..." I smiled at him.

Then Luke surprised me again by kissing my forehead, "Drive safely okay?" he smiled and waved me a goodbye as he started to walk to his own car.

"You too!" I answered before closing my car's door and switching the engine on. I drove off ahead of Luke just so I wouldn't encounter his 'flirtatiousness' again.

Is he doing this on purpose because Chris is away?

I then arrive home, and as I walk through the front door and turn on the hallway lights, I am greeted by a dark lifeless room...

Has this apartment always been this huge?

Emotions then started to pile up inside of me and I let go of my bag, lay my back against the door behind me and slide downwards, embrace my knees to my chest, and weep a little as I remember that I will be alone for the next six days...

Please let the days go by quickly...

________________________

Hey Guys!

Please continue to Love and Support + Share + Vote + Comment on #TPaTNWCT~! :D

Don't keep quiet and share your thoughts~! But don't create a war zone... X3

~ Kurisu-chan :*