Chapter 38: Confession

"Are you willing to hear me out Jade?" Chris asks kindly and I nod.

"I am, Chris..."

"Okay then..." Chris murmurs as he sets his spoon down and I set my unfinished chocolate mousse aside. "Where should I start?" he asks as he wants to know how to explain things more clearly.

"I would like you to start from where you lied to me about the job offer with your manager." I try to point out calmly.

"Oh... There? Okay..." he mumbles a few more. "Well..." he scratches his head, looks down, and breathes in and out before facing me to explain things properly. "In truth, I had wanted to distance myself from you those past few weeks. I didn't want to plan our Christmas together and had thought about other plans. I wanted to tell you something, and I knew you probably either know about it or you're misunderstanding the situation."

I then bit my lip and my sight starts to blur, "So... It is true..."

Chris sighs, "So you do know?" he asks me seriously before looking down and mutters, "I really wanted to surprise you though." while scratching the back of his neck.

"How is leaving me for Stacey a surprise?!" I cry out as the tears start dripping, and Chris looks up at me with widened eyes. "I-I mean it's already a surprise, but it ain't no good surprise!" I sniffle and furiously wipe away the tears.

"Jade?!" Chris stands to try to come and comfort me.

"No! You don't have to comfort me..." I say as I cover my face with my hands.

"But Jade, its-" Chris stopped in his sentence and I looked up to see him looking in a certain direction with a look like when a gazelle just heard a lioness somewhere. I call out his name and he holds his pointer to his lips, telling me to be quiet and listen. Even though I was sniffling, I looked towards the direction he was looking at and listened in. I could hear a muffled voice in the distance.

Chris then sighed exasperatedly and did a face palm. "Are you eavesdropping behind that pillar, Stacey?" There was no answer, but Chris had an annoyed expression on his face, "I know you're there. Come out or I'm walking over there to pull you out, stupid!"

Stacey then popped out from the corner, she was wearing a white chef's outfit with her arms crossed and a disappointed look, "You could've let me stay hidden, idiot!"

"And let you witness this mess? Fat chance you witch."

"Oh... Don't get me started you b*st*rd!" she squints her eyes at Chris menacingly.

Wait! What?! Why are they badmouthing each other?! Am I missing something here?

"Stacey?" was all I could manage out, and as it crosses my mind, I ask, "And what was with that phone call with Stacey that she wanted to meet you?!"

"So you didn't find out, but rather misunderstood." Chris lets out a chuckle of relief while shaking his head from left to right.

"What do you mean? Aren't you dumping me for Stacey?" I ask, confused as a guinea pig in a warren of rabbits.

"Dumping you for this selfish, bratty, little wench?! Hell no, Jade!" Chris laughs off as Stacey pinches Chris' side making him yell uncle.

"B-But! I thought the memorable time, place, and dinner was a sign that you'd be breaking this off with me."

"Girl, you've been watching too much drama lately. This is Jay we're talking about! I've never heard him have a decent breakup with any of his past girlfriends before, not even me." giggles Stacey.

"So... Why were you keeping things from me?" I ask, now very lost than I was before.

"Let me finish this time okay?" Chris cups my cheeks and looks me in the eyes, like waiting for my okay before continuing and I give him a nod. He smiled and let me go to tell me the details, "I didn't want to plan our Christmas together and had thought about other plans because I had wanted to plan everything out this year and surprise you. I wanted to tell you something, and its very clear that you misunderstood the situation."