35

Lucia

I woke up to something sounding like a long beeping that wouldn't stop. I heard shuffling around the room and never realized that I wasn't laying in my room. My eyes popped open and I sat up. Brittany was up with me as we looked around.

My eyes landed on grandma. She wasn't breathing. My eyes traveled to the heart monitor and I found out that it wasn't my alarm clock. It wasn't my phone. It was a heart monitor. It has a flat line.

" No. No. No." I said. I straddled her and shook her and tried to give CPR.

" Brittany. Go get help. Hurry up. GO!" I yelled. Brittany jumped off the bed and ran out the door. Tears were streaming down my face so fast I couldn't stop them. I checked the time on my watch and it was already 8:30.

I had been giving her CPR for a minute. The doctors rushed in and saw me straddling her.

" I need you to get off her. I can't do nothing with you sitting on her." I nodded, inaudible. The nurse showed me out and asked me if I wanted anything. I shook my head.

How can someone eat or drink during this matter?

After about another minute, all my friends came and the doctor arrived.

" Family of Ms. Perez. " She said. Everyone stood up.

I walked up to her and she looked at me with pity.

" I'm sorry. Her cancer cells had spread faster than normal. We had expect her to die in two months. But they started to spread even more. I'm sorry. She's been dead for a couple hours." Everyone gasped.

The doctor walked away.

" Are you OK?" Diego asked. I nodded my head.

" I think this is enough drama for tonight. Everyone can go home now. " Diego said. He grabbed my shoulders and led me outside. The rain was pouring.

" Did you bring your car?" I nodded.

" Give me your keys." He shouted over the rain. I gave him my keys and he pushed a button to find it.

My car made a noise and we ran to it. We got in the car and he turned on the heat. Probably because my body was shaking. But it wasn't from the rain. Even though it was in the middle of March.

" I'm gonna take you to my house." He said. He pulled out of the parking lot and I put my head against the window. I sighed and felt Diego grab my hand. I closed my eyes and wanted to pretend that this was all just a dream.

What felt like a matter of minutes, I was being picked up and took somewhere. I woke up and memories instantly began to hit me. Then I wept.

I was being carried up some stairs and through a door. I grabbed onto Diego neck like my life depended on it.

I felt my back hit the pillow. I continued to cry as he rubbed my back.

" Ssh baby. It's gonna be OK." He said soothingly. I just cried harder.

" H- how do you n- now t- that?! She's never gonna come back. NEVER. She's gone forever. And I was the worst granddaughter ever. " I cried. I put my face into the pillow and he wrapped his arm around me.

" No babe your not. Your the best. You learned half of your skills from her. Cooking, cleaning, dammit even stitching. You will be the most wonderful, nurse/ mom. " He said. I tuned around so my face was buried in his chest.

" I just wished I spent more time with her. " I said in between sniffles. He held me in the most comforting way how. I snuggled into him more and I closed my eyes.

God, please don't take this boy away from me. Was the last thing I thought about before I fell asleep .

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

I didn't go to school the rest of that week. I've been back and forth between my grandma house and Diego. My mom had called and told me that they would be down here in Friday. And today is Saturday Evening.

Me and Brittany have been sitting side by side. The only time we moved was to take a shower or eat. and we haven't been doing much eating.

It's around 12:55 in the middle of the night and I can't sleep. I tosses and turned and I just can't. So I got out and get some fresh air. I open Diego balcony doors and walked outside. I breathe in the wind the blows paat my face.

" Lucia?" I heard a voice behind me. I turned around. Diego stands there shirtless. He comes to the balcony and hold me from behind.

" Why are you crying?" He asked. I patted my face not realizing I was crying.

" I... I can't imagine my life without her. You know? How do you let go of someone that you knew forever?"

" You can't. But it's best if you do. If you don't, you will lose your sanity and start to think that the person you lost will come back one day. " He says. I sigh. He's right. I will lose my sanity.

" Your right."

" I know I am. Now come on back to bed so we can get enough sleep to get through this sad sad day. " He lead me back to bed and I fell asleep.

When I woke up, it was 8 o'clock in the morning. The funeral began at nine. I looked over to see Diego gone. I shrugged and jumped in the shower. When I got out it was 8: 39 and I wanted to take my time.

I walked down stairs in my bath robe and slippers and saw Charlotte Diego and his father at the table eating and talking. I walked in.

" Good Morning everyone. " I smiled. Diego came up to me and gave me a quick kiss on the lips.

" You ok?" He asked. I nodded and he kissed my forehead.

" Sit down and eat Lucia. We have French toast, eggs, bacon. " Charlotte said. I smiled, sat down and dug into my breakfast.

After eating, Diego took me too his room so we can get ready. Everyone was going to be there. Family. Friends.

After I put on my dress and my heels, I threw a headband on my head and began to brush my hair. I stopped when it looked decent.

" Are you ready babe. It's almost time. " He called.

" Yeah. Almost."

I walked out of the bathroom and I picked up my clutch. I didn't bring my phone since there was no need. I walked down to see Diego waiting by the door.

" Are you ready for this?"

" No. But I have to let her go remember?" I said as I walked ahead of him throwing on my Shades.