Chapter 28: I don't like him

ADDIE

"Sold out ang paintings!" masayang sabi ni Ethos sa tabi ko habang nakatayo ako sa gitna ng tatlong malalaking pictures na tinatawag niyang A Series of Addie. He encircled his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder. "Congrats! I am so proud of you!"

Para kaming may sariling mundo habang abala ang mga staffs ni Ethos. Isa-isa na nilang inililigpit ang mga photographs at art pieces na naka-display kanina para sa launching ng exhibit niya. My paintings are being sealed for delivery and his photographs are about to be transferred to an empty gallery that he rented. It's for the public viewing of his exhibit that will start tomorrow.

"Thank you," nakangiti kong sagot. "Ako nga dapat ang maging proud sa'yo, eh. Your launching event is a success. I am sure that people will be rushing to see your works once the gallery opens tomorrow."

"You think so highly of my works, Addie," natatawa niyang sabi. "Kung tutuusin, these are just mere pictures. Not everyone appreciates what I do."

"May I remind you that you are Ethos Sandoval, a well-known photographer not only here in our country but also abroad," paalala ko sa kanya. "And these are not mere pictures. Sabi mo nga sa akin dati, what makes these pictures special are the stories that they hold. Ako, I appreciate that."

"And that's enough for me," nakangiting sagot niya bago naiba ang usapan. "By the way, nag-aya sina Zia na mag-bar, 'di ba? Are you not going to catch up with your friends? Ihahatid kita kung gusto mong humabol. I can ask Axel for their location."

"No, don't bother. Hindi ka rin naman makakasama so I'll pass, too. Magpahinga muna tayong dalawa," sagot ko. "Isa pa, I already promised the girls that we'll bond tomorrow. They're cool with it," I assured him.

"How about the guys? Hindi ba sila magtatampo?" tanong niya. "You should bond with them, too. I can tell that they really missed you."

"May recording daw sila bukas pero susubukan daw nilang sumunod sa amin," sagot ko. "You should come, too."

"Nah," tanggi niya. "That's your time with your friends. I'll let you be."

"But they're your friends, too..." sabi ko naman. "Will it really be okay?" tanong ko at ngumiti siya nang tumingin ako sa kanya.

"We promised to give each other some space, right? It's okay, I will understand," sagot niya. "But if you really want me to come, I'll clear my schedule for you."

"Do you want to come?"

"Do you want me to come?" balik naman niya at sabay kaming natawa.

"Alright, alright. Let's just compromise," I suggested. "Sumunod ka na lang kung susunod ang Xscape, okay? 'Cause I don't want you to feel left out with the girl talks that we'll be having."

"Yes, I get that," nakatawa niyang sabi. "Okay, it's settled, then."

"I'll text you," dagdag ko pa at tumango siya. Marahan kong hinawakan ang pisngi niya nang muli niyang iniyuko ang ulo niya sa balikat ko. "Ethos?"

"Mhm?"

"Thank you," I sincerely told him.

"For what?"

"For doing this," sagot ko. "For being in my life no matter how much I tried to push you away before."

"I'll do it all over again if I have to," sabi niya naman. Itinuro niya pa ang huling picture ko sa series kung saan ako nakangiti bago humigpit ang yakap niya sa akin. "I'll do it all over again for that smile and just to have you here in my arms."