Chapter 32

Veronica's Pov

"You played well." I console him as I lean against him, hoping that my mere presence is enough to make him feel better.

I'm not good at comforting someone, that's normally Betty's department. If only it was as easy as shopping.

I decide to change the topic to get his mind off of things,"So the dance is at Drake's place at 7 today. Pick me up a bit early so that we can go together, " I start but stop as soon as I see his soulless expression,"Um Archie? Are you alright? "

I tap his shoulder but when I don't get an answer, I look down and notice his bottle crushed in his hand and the furious glaze burning in his eyes.

He is beating himself
up for not playing well today.

Every athlete has his bad day, and today was Archie's. The weird thing was that he was playing amazingly well with a level headed mind till the second quarter of the game. I wonder what made him snap like that and lose all his cool.

Was it the pressure? Did he break  under it?

"Archie? " I kiss his cheek softly but he still doesn't respond and continues to stare at something with an intense look on his face.

I follow his gaze that is settled on the couple making out a few feet away.

"Who thought that Jughead could even kiss? The way Betty is melting in his arms makes him look like he is an expert at it." I blurt, not able to contain my surprise as I whistle loudly.

I never thought that Jughead could exhibit PDA, in fact, I never thought that he was capable of falling in love, with a female nevertheless. Well, people are capable of surprises.

At least she is over Archie now and I don't have to worry about Betty trying to steal him away from me .

My relief is short lived as I look at the rage bubbling in Archie's flushed face and his clenched jaw-the tip of his ears are bright red as he crushes the already crushed bottle till it is flattened out like a pancake.

Why is he angry? Is it because Jughead played better than him or is it because he is dating Betty? I hope it's not the latter.

                         ******

"Where is Archie? He is really late!" I glance at my rhinestone watch for the fifth time as I pace about impatiently in my room. When I hear the honk of his car, I rush down, almost tripping in my heeled Jimmy Choos.

"What took you so long? " I ask as I sit in his red jalopy, breathless.

He barely cracks a smile and doesn't take his eyes off the road,"I was feeling a bit under the weather." He says emotionlessly.

I stare at him with concern,"Why? Do you have fever?" I place my hand on his forehead but he pushes it away, surprising me. He has never push or rejected my touch before. Even after we get into a big fight we would always make up with a kiss.

"I'm fine." He curtly says, gripping the steering wheel tight and we sit in silence the whole ride to the party. I realize that he hasn't even once said a word about my outfit or my makeup.

These legs are not going to compliment themselves you know.

The car is full of tension and we wordlessly get out of the car as we reach Drake's mansion, but before we step in, I slip my arm into his and  walk into the house which is filled with ear deafening music.

Since we are the 'it' couple of Riverdale High, I feel all eyes on us and I flip my hair as I grin with all the attention, temporarily forgetting Archie's bad mood.