Chapter 2

The day of the concert has finally arrived. I’m going to see my favourite band with the boy I like.. I think. I've never liked anyone before but if you talk a lot and hang out doesn't that mean you like them?

I get up from my bed, have a shower and brush my teeth. I am putting a little bit more effort in my appearance because I will be seeing Drew, and I want to make a good impression. Just thinking of seeing him makes me giddy. I have been talking to him nearly every day and I can honestly say I’m head over heels. I apply on sunscreen, mascara, and lip balm while singing along to ‘’Heart Attack.’’ Leaving my hair in its natural state, I put it in a high ponytail and decide to wear high-waisted black jeans, a loose-fitting white cuffed t-shirt, an unbuttoned plaid red and black flannel and converse sneakers. 

I pace out to the small and dingy kitchen to eat before I head out. I was just about finished with my leftover pizza, stale of course, when Linda rummages through the door, looking graceful as ever with her knotty hear, smudged makeup and wrinkled clothing. Of course she would come home at three thirty in the afternoon.

‘’Where have you been?’’ I asked, predicting that I won’t get a decent answer.

‘’Mind your fucking business,’’ she slurred, prvoing my assumptions to be correct.

I’m not surprised by her foul language. I would actually be surprised if she said a sentence without cussing, since for her it may be impossible. I grab my phone, house key, metro card and wallet and hastily make a beeline for the worn out wooden door.

‘’I’m going out,’’ I muttter before walking out the door.

‘’Does it look like I give a shit?’ she grumbles under her breath, a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of vodka in another with her body laid over the torn couch.

Seeing her like that reminds me why I wanted to move out in the first place I can't stand the way she speaks to me as if I'm a piece of dirt, the way she leaves and comes without annoucement, the way she fills her body with toxins even though I tell her that it's not good for her health. I can't stand to watch her destroy her life while I try to fix it, I'm hardly living my own life as it is. And I can’t wait till I turn eighteen and leave this place. Four more months Beth. You can do it. I try to motivate myself but I can hear my dad's voice in the background telling me that I can't do anything worthwhile.

Drew told me to meet Lucy and him in the city at five o'clock. I honestly left the house way too early but now that it’s school holidays I’ll do anything just to get away from that house. Aftmy journey to and on the bus, I am now on the train with my headphones in listening to ‘’She’s Not Afraid.’’ No surprise there. It’s incredible to think that I’m going to be seeing the people I’m tapping my feet to right now in  less than three hours. I don’t know how I would survive these thirty minute train rides without music. Let’s just say I’m not very patient.

I step off the train and wait for Drew. He’s not late, I’m just crazy early. I don’t mind because that means more time listening to One Direction and less time in that hellhole I was supposed to call ‘home’.

After about an hour its five o'clock and I look around for Drew and Lucy. I spot a familiar figure walking towards me and I immediately know it's was him. I’m surprised to see his arm hanging around Lucy’s shoulder but I guess he’s just really friendly. As he gets closer I can’t help but admire how good he looks. He’s wearing black skinny jeans and short-sleeve button up shirt. They both wave to me and I smile back.

‘’Hey Beth,’’ Drew days as he hugs me.

His hugs feel warm, yet also extremely uncomfortable. I hate physcial contact. Drew wasn’t tall for a guy, but due to my petite size, my head still rests on his shoulder. He pulls back and gives me a warming side smile which melts my heart. After the hug from Drew, Lucy leans with her arms outstretched for a hug. She looks perfect as always. Perfectly curled blonde hair, beautiful long lashes to showcase her blue eyes, a lean body that she flaunts confidently and sunkissed skin. I quickly pull out of the hug and plaster a smile on my face to mask the scrunched up expression I was hiding.