Chapter 49

After finishing bruschetta for the entree and Thai chicken with a side of salad for our meal, we are now finishing up with warm chocolate brownie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for desert.

"So if you and Beth are friends how come you've never brought her to the house?" Mr Somers asks his son.

"We aren't friends," I rudely interrupt, bringing the conversation and dinner to an awkward route. "I mean, we know each other but I just came to help Keith with study," I say the clarify my extremely true, yet discourteous, statement.

"It's true," Keith agrees with me and I'm glad I'm not offending him by speaking my mind. I just don't want people thinking I'm willing to be all buddy-buddy with them. "But technically Beth has not talked to me or anyone during school so it was pretty impossible to become her friend."

"That's not true," I face Keith. "I talked to Jenny," I state matter-of-factly.

"Besides Jenny."

"Um...." I trail.

I don't try to deny it any longer because I know that it's true, I never wanted people to talk to me at school and therefore ignored everything around me.

"Exactly," he says.

Not wanting to talk about the subject of my approachable-ness, I change the subject and try to make my way out.

"Thank you for dinner Mr. Somers.," I say once everyone had cleared their plates.

"No problem at all," he smiles. "Actually, it was nice to have some proper company. Whenever Keith brings his friends over they always end up playing video games all day," he motions to Keith, making him scoff in response. "Today was a nice change. And remember, call me Tony."

"Tony," I repeat to get myself accustomed to the use of his first name. I just think it sounds odd, like it wouldn't feel right calling him by first name basis. I guess that's how Keith feels about Harry. "Well... Tony... I should get going," I stand up from the cushioned wooden chair.

"Hold on, how are you getting home? Are your parents picking you up?"

"No," I say, trying to keep my voice strong. "I'm taking the bus."

"No need, Keith will drive you home. Won't you?"

No, no, no, no, no. Hell no.

I faintly hear Keith say "I don't mind," but hardly since I'm screaming on the inside.

"No it's fine. I can take the bus," I persist, trying to keep a calm exterior.

"It's too dark to be walking around. I'm sure your parents wouldn't want that. Keith go get your keys," Mr. Somers orders his son in which he obliges.

"But-"

"No buts. As of right now I am responsible for you and I do not allow you to walk outside in the dark by yourself," he says.

Is this what having someone care for you feels like? Is this how fathers are? Because I certainly don't remember my dad treat me this way. It's.... different.

"I'm able to take care of myself."

"I'm sure you can, I would just feel a lot more at ease if Keith drove you home," his warm smile stops me from denying the offer any longer, although I refuse to step into a car. I'm not feeling very strong tonight, not with that heavy conversation with Keith about our mothers deaths. "Besides, its nice seeing Keith bring a girl ov-"

His sentence was cut short by Keith coming back with his keys in his hand. "Got my keys," he waves the. Around and it makes a jingling noise. The noise is enough to make me sick to my stomach. "Ready to go?"