Chapter 44

“Hey, it’s Friday today right?” I ask Harry as we wait in line for our drinks.

“Yeah, why?”

“Just making sure.”

As we wait in the crowded Starbucks, the smell of caffeine hits me robustly and the chatter of people in suits on their lunch breaks fills my ears.

“Beth!” A girl in a Starbucks uniform from behind the counter calls.

I push my way through the mass, my petite stature proving an advantage in this situation for once.

“Soy latte, no sugar?” She asks and I confirm, grabbing the cardboard cup from the counter-top and walking back to where Harry is still patiently waiting for his beverage.

“No sugar? Gross,” he says, scrunching up his face.

“I don’t have the best experience with sugar,” I inform before taking a sip of my extremely overpriced latte. “Mmm,” I moan in satisfaction as the caffeine fills me, the hot liquid warming my insides.

“Is it any good?” He questions.

“Yeah,” I say in a ‘duh’ tone.

“Can I try?”

“Mmm, better not,” I say and he chuckles, finally understanding the reference.

“But I technically paid for it so I think I’m obligated to have a little taste,” he states.

“Well that was your decision. I told you I could pay myself.”

“But I did anyways so pass it over,” he reaches out for my drinks but I recoil.

“But… germs,” my overly hygienic side making its appearance.

Harry bursts out laughing, shaking his head from side to side in humour. “You’re such a kid,” he states and I raise my eyebrow at his hypocritical comment. “We kiss all the time and it’s pretty much the same thing,” he says matter-of-factly.

“I guess so…” I bring my drink to him but quickly retreat it back to add: “You better not be sick.”

“You worry too much,” he chuckles, snatching the cup out of my small hands and taking the biggest sip known the mankind. “That –” he points to the cup in my hands after returning it to me, “– is disgusting.”

“Then why did you drink so much of it?!” I complain after realising about a third of the drink has already been consumed, and I only had a tiny sip.

“I had to make sure all of it was bad,” he giggles like the pretty little girl he is.

“Eugene!” A name is called out, but I ignore is and continue to wait for Harry’s name so we can get out of here.

“That’s me,” Harry chirps before his tall figure retrieves his drink, making sure his disguise is still covering him. The barista gives him a suspicious look; probably questioning why one must wear sunglasses and have a hoodie on inside but thankfully doesn’t say anything about it. He quickly makes his way back to me, sipping on his drink.

“Eugene? Seriously?” I see the name scribbled over his cup and giggle.

“Well I couldn’t say Harry,” he says as if it is the most obvious thing ever.

“I know but Eugene? Why not something more common like John or Will?”

“What’s wrong with Eugene?” He pouts.

“Nothing, just an odd name I guess,” I shrug.

“Well what else do you expect from me?” He says as he pushes open the door for the both of us.