Chapter 39

Me, Jenny and Eleanour walk into the room, to see three neat piles of dresses laid down on the leather couch.

“The dresses on the left are for El, the one’s in the middle are for Beth and the ones on the right are for Jen,” Caroline informs.

Eleanour and Jen keenly stride to their piles while I stay put, cringing at the fire truck red dress on top. It’s so short that it almost looks like a t-shirt; who in their right mind would wear something so... minimalistic?

I walk forward and dig through the pile of around five dresses, hoping to find something understated and the least bit conservative. Firstly there’s the red dress that screams attention, the cobalt blue one that nearly blinded me when I first saw it, the thin pink dress and is so low cut that I wouldn’t in a million years even consider wearing, the sparkly green one that reflects light off every angle and the black skin-tight dress.

“These dresses are amazing! It’s too hard to choose from them,” Jen exclaims while continuing to rummage through the clothes.

“I think I’m gonna go with this one,” Eleanour holds up a blue dress with some sort of animal print.

“Love it! I was thinking either this red one or white one. Which one do you think would look better?” Jen asks while holding the two dresses beside her body for us to compare.

I honestly don’t like any of them, so I let Eleanour take the reins on this one. “White one, definitely,” she says without a doubt.

“Alright, I was leaning towards that one as well,” Jen smiles. “What about you Beth? Which one are you wearing?”

“I don’t like any of them,” I mutter.

“What about the red one? It’s a beautiful dress,” Eleanour suggests.

“Nah, it’s too bright. I don’t want any attention on me whatsoever,” I grumble while bringing my arms over my chest.

“Then wear the black one, you won’t stand out,” Eleanour picks up the dress and hangs it mid-air in front of my body. “I think it’ll look good on you. Why don’t you try it on first and see what you think?” She advises.

“Okay…”

It is the lowest key dress out of the bunch, and I couldn’t wear the clothes I have now because of a certain boy ruined them and even though I should be angry at him, I’m not. When he’s on my mind I can’t help but smile, how can you be angry at such an adorable face?

I hesitantly reach out for the hanger of the dress and walk towards the change rooms as the other girls follow behind me and into the adjacent changing rooms. I close the curtain and put my bag onto the floor before stripping off my clothes and folding it neatly onto the ground. I pull the dress off the hanger, step into it and put my arms through the straps. The texture of the dress is almost shiny, and looks like it wraps around my body like a bandage, or a burrito... Mmm, burritos.

The neckline slightly dips in the middle and the hem stops just below mid-thigh. The tight material clings to my skin, making every single curve prominent and even more so at my chest. The dress fits like a glove, except at my bust where it is extremely tight making my cleavage protrude. I stare at the mirror for a moment, trying to convince myself that it doesn’t look that bad, but it wasn’t working. I don’t want to ruin everyones night by saying I refuse to go out in public like this but at the same time I can’t stand to see myself with this much bare skin. I was just about to take it off when I hear my voice being called from outside. 

“Beth, come out now,” I hear Jenny’s loud voice shriek.

“No, I don’t want to,” I murmur. “I look –”