Chapter 15

It’s Thursday and it’s nearly the end of school. Right now I’m in… What class am I even in? Oh right, Psychology. I haven’t been able to focus today and all of yesterday. I only had one thing on my mind; Harry. I can’t stay friends with him; I can’t let anyone get close to me only to leave. But every time I think about what I should say my heart hurts. Why does it feel this way?

‘’Beth? Beth Anderson!’’

The whole class stares at me and I shoot my head up.

‘’Huh? What?’’

‘’Pay attention please!’’

‘’Sorry,’’ I mumble.

I go back to writing notes to keep my mind off Harry, but the curly-haired boy always seems to crawl his way back to my thoughts. I can’t stop thinking about those beautiful green eyes, those curls, those dimples, that smile. Ugh! This is exactly what I’m talking about. He is already getting to me and I don’t even know how he did it. He must be a wizard. Oh my god, it all makes sense. Wizard… Harry… Harry Potter… Harry is a wizard! I don’t know how I didn’t see it before, it’s so obvious. It’s the only explanation to why he seemed to appear in my life and never go away even though he’s not physically with me.  Okay, now I’ve gone officially insane.

The bell finally rings but then I remember that means I have to go ‘home’. Everywhere I go I don’t feel happy. Whether is school, at home, or with friends, I’m never truly happy. You’re happy when you’re with him. Shut up conscious, who asked for your opinion.

I go to my locker to put away some books, grab the ones I need and put it into my bag. I see Jenny walking towards me so I wait for her before leaving.

‘’Finally it’s home time, this day dragged on forever,’’ Jenny whines once she reaches me.

‘’I’ll say,’’ I mumble, with the boy still on my mind.

‘’Beth, what’s wrong? You’ve been acting weird all yesterday and today,’’ she arches her eyebrow.

‘’Really? Cause I feel fine,’’ I put on the fakest smile known to man.

‘’Who are you fooling with that fake smile? You’ve been out of it all yesterday but I let it go. But now you’re harshing my mood too, so what’s up?’’ Detective Jenny at it again.

‘’It’s complicated…’’

‘’Then explain clearly,’’ she says sternly.

‘’It’s a long story.’’ I come up with any excuse I can think of.

‘’I have time,’’ she just won’t give up will she? She’s staring at me expectantly. I want to tell her but she won’t understand my motives for doing this unless I tell her everything.

‘’I saw Harry on Tuesday.’’

Her eyes widen at the news. Her jaw drops and she jumps up and down.

‘’I’m going to tell him we can’t be friends,’’ I say before she has the chance to get any happier.

‘’What?! Why?!’’ She questions loudly.

‘’I have my reasons.’’

‘’Which are…?’’

I want to tell her. I want to tell her that it's hard for me to even let myself be friends with her - knowing it will hurt so much when she leaves -  let alone Harry. I want to be able to let her into every aspect of my life but I can’t. All she knows is that I live with Linda, which was already too much for me. Even though she asked me, I never told her why I don’t live with my parents. She will pity me and think I’m weak. Well I am weak, but nobody needs to know that.