7. First Date

May Daniels.

"Oh! How romantic can you get?!" I snapped at him.

He bought me to a shooting range! A freaking shooting range! So much for a first date.

"What's wrong? I want you to learn this for your safety."

"I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself, thank you. I don't see anyone coming after me with a gun anytime soon, Alex."

"Yeah but it's still a useful skill." He argued.

I gave up trying make him see sense. This can be fun anyway. The expression on his face would be priceless when he sees that I'm quite a pro with guns. I followed his lead into the building with Maddie hot on our heels.

For Maddie's safety, Alex put her in the office with one of the staff to babysit her. Then we proceeded to the range.

I watched quietly as he went through the motions of basic gun handling.

Almost an hour later, during which he kept drilling about gun safety, he finally let me take my first shot. Without an ounce of hesitation, I aimed straight at the heart of the board and scored a perfect shot.

When I turned around, Alex was staring at me with his mouth hanging open. "You know how to shoot?!"

I nodded, satisfied with that look on his face. "My uncle was with the marine. He taught me how to look after myself."

His expression turned into bewilderment. "Then why did you get angry that I bought you here?"

I shifted my gaze away, feeling ridiculous.

Alex caught my chin with his hands. He moved closer till we were an inch apart. "Tell me."

The close approximity meddled with my senses tremendously. I lost the ability to think and blurted out the truth. "You said this was a date...I thought you'd take me somewhere romantic like yesterday..."

A slow smile crept on his annoyingly hot, soft lips. "You thought the cabin was romantic?"

"Yes." I was feeling breathless with the lack of distance between us. "And the fact that you shared your most private hideout with me." I murmured.

He stepped closer and slipped his arms around me. His touch made me yearn him. "I want to kiss you."

I closed my eyes with my face tilted towards his waiting for the kiss impatiently. It never came.

When I opened my eyes again he was staring at me with a most intense look on his face.

"If you wanted me to kiss you, all you have to do is to ask." He whispered, his voice rough. The sound made funny things to my tummy. Why is he talking instead of kissing me?!

"I'd rather wrestle with hippopotamus." My intention was to snap at him but my words came out all breathy.

Alex chuckled. "Of all the animals there are, you chose a hippo?"

I huffed. "Will you let go of me?" Nevermind how good he felt hard against me. I have my reputation to safeguard.

He only tightened his hold. "Never." His words were very low but I heard them.
---------------------------------------------------------

When he finally dropped me back home, it was close to five in the evening and I was depressed. Probably with the way he left me hanging without a kiss. Not even a peck on the cheek. And then Jess called, nagging me to go clubbing with her.

Perfect.

"You know what?" Jess shrieked. "You need a girls night out and so do I. Let's go party! And you can tell me all about that hot guy you were talking with yesterday."

I let out a groan. "I'm not in the mood to party! My brain is so full and there's so much of thinking to do!"

"This is why you need to party. Dancing clears your mind."

"So does jogging. And I prefer my second option."

"Fine. You don't have to dance. Just come and keep an eye on me. You know how I can get when I get drunk."

I was torn. Jess can really be reckless with alcohol. The last time she partied alone she found herself naked in a stranger's bed. A female stranger and Jess...well she isn't bisexual or homosexual... Yeah sure was awkward.

"Fine! But I'm not dressing up. I'm wearing my jeans."

"Ah! Come on!" She whined. "Wear that black dress you bought last week. It will be perfect!"

"No Jess."

"Yes, oh and some make up. Men will go crazy looking at you."

God knows how I'd let Jess talk me into this. My stubbornness must have been drained after spending the day with Alex.

She came by my place and stuffed me into the short tight black dress with red pumps. The dress was like my second skin, clinging to me in all the right places. And it had long sleeves and a low neck line. Then came the make up. A while later she deposited me at the mirror.

I looked different...quite beautiful, I admitted. Idly, I wondered what Alex might have said if he saw me right now.

No no no... I should not think of him. I'm doing this to forget about him...even if it's just for an evening.

And guess what was on my mind all the way to the club?

Alex, of course... Shoot me now!

The club was crowded and noisy, not my thing at all.

"Isn't this great?!" Jess yelled to be heard above the chaos.

I merely gave her thumps up and made my way to the tables at the very back. Jess disappeared into the dance floor. I got myself a an apple martini, desperately needing the potent stuff after a day with Alex.

Alex...

A sigh escaped me. I wanted him...or well my body wanted him. But I couldn't even bring myself to imagine if he was into casual fling. To be honest all that life partner stuff is simply tiring for me.

Had been there, almost done that. I would have been a married woman if my ex finance didn't change his mind to marry my sister instead... Just an hour before the wedding.

"Don't go there." I muttered to myself. Its been a while and I had convinced myself that the guy was really a bastard. But the pain was still there.

I was so into my thoughts that I didn't see Jess making her way back to the table.

"I so need a drink!"

Surprised, I looked up and saw her red face. And the number of flutes on the table. How much did I drink?!

But hey! I wasn't tipsy at all. I was as clear as the sky!

Jess was chatting about something...shoes I think but abruptly she stopped and let out a low whistle. "Oh my god! Look at that guy! He's totally cute!"

"Jess, you say that about every guy." I rolled my eyes. That girl really enjoys boys.

"Yeah...but he is really cute! Look!"

I decided to humour my friend and turned around only to find that the cute guy was Eden. Beside him, sitting stiff as a board, was Alex.

Ooh oh...

He was glaring at me and particularly at the drink in my hand. Was it my seventh or eighth? I couldn't remember. But I gulped it down in hurry as I took in his angry stance.

Maybe the alcohol will made this easy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Thank you for supporting and buying this chapter! More heaty sizzles are on the way, so stay tuned!

For sneak peeks, check out my Instagram @aprilvishnu

All your comments/reviews are deeply appreciated. You can contact me by my email authoraprilvishnu@gmail.com

Happy reading!
April Vishnu