18. Reasons...

Alex Kellen.

Ritzer was curious to learn about May. She was the first woman who I had bought to him for medical care. Hell! She was the first woman I bought in to the house. Even my cousins had raised their eyebrows at that. We bring women to hotels. But never to our home...our sanctuary.

And May was the first for me.

But none of them dared to ask that question out loud. They were curious and they kept it to themselves. It was better for me too. For I had no idea what the hell I was doing. I had turned into a puppy, following her everywhere.

Fuck!

I shook myself out my thoughts just as Ritzer asked May about our relationship.

"Mind your own fucking business. One more toe out of line, and I will aim for your throat this time." I snapped, momentarily forgetting May's presence.

Ritzer began to stammer. "I... I'm sorry sir. I didn't mean to be rude. My apologies Miss Daniels. Si...sincere apologies."

As soon as he left the room, May tugged on my shirt asking me to face her.

"What the hell, Alex! You frightened the living shit out of him!"

"He deserved it for being so nosy." I muttered petulantly.

May simply huffed and hopped gently off the bed. As the stubborn woman she was, she insisted to use the crutches and strongly denied me from carrying her. It was a blow to me. I loved having her close to my body and she weighed like a feather! Is this her way of punishing?

"I had some clothes delivered for you this morning. There was very little left from the fire." I informed her as I followed her out of the clinical room.

She hobbled about, trying to figure out how to use the aid. "When did you do that?"

"Last night. Before I got drunk."

"Well, thank you." She sighed, stopping the hobbling. Instead she leaned on the side of the wall and used that as her support to move forward.

I pulled gently on her arm, asking her to stop. "Talk to me, May. I need to know what's bothering you."

Indeed there was something bothering her. Her lovely, carefree face was shadowed with dark thoughts. She was feeling very low...stressed and it showed evidently on her face.

She hesitated and that only made more...anxious? Maybe... This woman here has been making me feel all sort of things, so much so, that I don't even know what I'm feeling right now. I cupped her face with my hands and focused all my attention on her.

"Tell me. Please." I pleaded. Watching her like this made me insane. May was a generally a happy, fiery person. Whatever that upset her, will probably be my fault. And I desperately wanted to make it right.

She leaned into my touch. "It's all beginning to catch up with me, Alex. I lost my home, all my hard work in a matter of seconds. It took me so long to get where am I right now. And now, I'm back to square one. No...square zero. And I can't even do something about it. I'm useless with this broken ankle."

She dropped the crutches and leaned further on me. Her arms wound around my neck, crushing me into a tight embrace. I squeezed her back gently, letting her know without words that I was here. Now and always.

"I hate feeling like this, Alex. I'm so used to being in control. This vulnerability is not my thing."

"I'm so sorry, May."

"Its not your fault, Alex."

"Just so you know, you're the most independent woman I have ever met in my life."

"Really?"

"Yes." I tightened my hold on her. "Why don't you let me take care of you for a while. After all you need a break too."

"Well, thank you. But it's fine. I'll be fine." She pulled back a little to look at my face. We still had our arms around each other. "Anyway I have my house covered by insurance. I hope it'll be enough. Meanwhile I can stay with Jess. I will just inform my principal about my absence and figure out where I am going to stay until I have the place restored."

What? I frowned, slightly confused. She wasn't staying here?

"What do you mean? I thought you'll be staying here with me."

"I think it's very inappropriate, Alex. I'm an adult anyway, I'll figure out a way. Thanks for offering."

Offering? Oh no! She is getting it all wrong. She simply have to stay with me!

"I know that." I almost snapped. "And I'm not offering, May. I'm telling you that you are staying with me here. Where I can protect you from Carlous." And your ex fiance, I silently added.

She leaned back with a frown until her back was against the wall. I didn't let go though. "I'm not your responsibility."

"Yes, you are. Absolutely my responsibility. If you have to find a place by yourself, then go ahead. I will simply move in with you."

She gaped at me. "Y...you'd do that?"

"Would you like to see me try?"

She stared at me in bewilderment. "No. Why would you want to live with me?"

"I just told you. It's safer that way... For both of us." My voice softened involuntarily. "And I'm happier with you around. I want to be with you."

"Um...excuse me?"

We both turned to look at the small childish voice. Three little girls were looking back at us. Their eyes large and innocent.

We both were so engrossed in our little bubble that we had totally forgotten our surrounding. And now we had an small audience listening in for god knows how long.

I gulped. How the hell was I going to deal with three little girls?! And May promised to help me!

"And them." I whispered. "Count them as another reason why I need you with me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note:

It'll be fun reading how the Mafia head deals with little girls!

Anyway there is a bit of news for you guys. Right now I'm working on a spin off from Marry Me. The title is Flames, a romance between uptight Jeff (Alex's cousin) and a fiery beauty who sails his yacht.

The book is already available on Radish and will be available on Wattpad as soon as Marry Me is completed :)

For readers who are very excited, you can find Flames on this link.
https://radish.app.link/cwjxZwgSgD

Regards,
April Vishnu