41. Once In A Lifetime

Alex Kellen.

"May?" I stopped nuzzling her neck as an unsettling thought floated to the front of my mind.

"Hmm?"

"You drank wine earlier, right?"

She pulled back to gaze at me curiously. I could almost see her mind wondering 'where is he going with this?' "Yeah I did. Why?"

"Is it okay with the baby?"

Her eyebrow raised in annoyance. "I only took a couple of sips. It shouldn't be a problem."

"Are you sure?"

Annoyance turned into incredulity. "Yes, I am!"

"Alright."

"You sure know how to ruin a moment." She grumbled while trying to scramble from my lap.

"Hey!" I didn't like the absence of her body against mine. "Where are you going? Come back."

"No." She snapped and bend down to grab her pullover from the floor. I beat her to it and held out the garment.

She frowned as I held on to it even when she tugged at it roughly. "Let go."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Let go." She pulled again and huffed when I didn't comply.

"No. Tell me what's wrong. Talk to me."

"I didn't like the way you doubted me. Sometimes you're just too overbearing. I would not do anything that might harm my child. A little bit of wine won't do anything to the baby." She ranted without taking a breath.

I sighed and tried to pacify my angry bird. "Okay, I'm sorry."

May glared daggers. "No. You're not. And you will do it again."

It was rather difficult but I tried to hide my grin at her cute anger and the fact that she knew me so well. "Probably." I admitted. "But I am sure I can count on you to kick my ass when I do."

An involuntary smile, so tiny that it's almost not visible, tugged at the side of her delectable lips. "I will. When I can't lift my feet to kick, I shall knock you on the head."

"Sure, just don't aim my face."

"Why?" She teased. "Afraid that I might ruin your handsome features?"

"No. But remember that I don't have to look at myself. You do." I winked at her making her laugh. I watched her dreamily, like a love sick fool.

"Stop staring. Its creepy."

"I was just wondering... Is this how its going to be for the next nine months?"

"Huh?"

"The mood swings, I meant."

She aimed a hard punch on my chest. "Be nice."

I grabbed her hand and held it to my chest. "I love you."

"Me too. Are we going back tonight?"

My arms enclosed her in a warm hug. "Do you want to?"

She snuggled into my embrace and tucked her head under my chin. "No. Let's stay here. Tonight is special."

"I was hoping you'd say that. I don't want tonight to end."

She smiled and slipped her arms around me. We stayed like that in our warm embrace for a long time, too comfortable to move.

An infinity later May whispered my name. "Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm bored." She announced with a small yawn.