44. It's Over

Alex Kellen.

The room was sterile and white. The constant beeping of the machine did nothing to calm my nerves. Or my mind. It was racing...images after images kept passing through. Even sleep eluded me. It was as though I was destined to this torture as I sat by the bed, waiting for May to wake up.

No matter what I did, that one image that stood on the front of my mind since the last three days. No matter what I tried, there was no escaping it. 

She had been lying on the bed, her arm hanging down at the side. Blood was smeared all over her body and her body was curled in a unnatural posture. My first thought was that she was gone. There was chillness that gripped my bones so hard that it was almost impossible to breathe. Just a couple of hours ago I had held her in my arms, elated with the news of our baby.

Its sickening what can happen within a short period of time.

The door opened again and I expected some nurse. There was always someone checking on her vitals regularly. But this time it wasn't a medical staff. It was my mother. She walked towards us slowly and settled on the chair next to me.

"What did the doctor say?"

"She is stable now but still critical. She was beaten up real bad, probably with some sort of metal bar. She has a broken arm and several broken ribs. Her left knee was twisted. There was a concussion to her head and brain swelling." My voice was dry and raspy. "They said her brain injury caused the comatose state. She has been unconscious for the past three days."

"She is going to be okay." My mother sniffed.

"She will recover from her physical injuries, I'm sure about that. But we will never be okay."

My mom frowned in disapproval. "Don't you say that!"

"Mom...she is...was pregnant..." It was so hard to make what could have been our future, into past tense. We can never get past this.

The silence that followed was deafening. I could feel wet tears on my cheeks but couldn't bring myself to be ashamed. We lost someone who was going to turn our lives around. A tiny human who was a equal part of both May and me.

"Wa...was?"

My eyes pricked. "We lost the baby."

"Oh son!" She cradled me into her small arms as I sobbed.

"We didn't... The baby didn't deserve this..."

"Shh... I know." She held me like a little boy as I struggled for control.

The sound of sheets rustling distracted us. I sat up straight, gazing at the woman on the hospital bed. She moaned slightly before blinking. Then she glanced around, taking in her surrounding before her green eyes settled on me. She stared for a long while at me with her eyes wide. Her palm was pressed against her stomach as she searched my face for answers.

More tears spilled from my eyes and I shook my head, silently answering her question. I watched as her face changed, concealing every emotion. Like a mask.

I knew right then that it wasn't only a baby who had left me.

-------------------------------------------------------

It took May almost week to heal enough to leave the hospital. Everything meanwhile was haywire. The cops were swarming the beach house and it was sealed for investigation for the murders. We lost thirteen men and doctor Ritz. Their families were heavily compensated for the loss. But the money was nothing compared to their lives and I felt like an asshole for the money offered.