•Chapter Three•

*Mike's POV*

I could hear Billie in the back complaining to Tré about how much he hated Velvet, and I knew he was being extra loud so she could hear.

She was sitting in the front of the tour bus, playing cards laid out in front of her as if she were playing a game of poker with an imaginary friend. I was back here, alone as I watched her, trying to find the little girl who used to call me her big brother.

That little girl I knew was long gone as of yesterday, but now as she sat where she thought no one as watching, I could still see the loneliness in her eyes that she used to look at me with. She used to give me those lonely eyes when she would ask me to play my bass for her or give her a piggy back ride and call me her horse.

Still, she had changed so much since I last saw her. I had seen her only a few times in a few years. She was always gone or out doing things. I doubt she even remembered who I was. She pretty much shut down after her dad died.

I didn't know what I was supposed to feel. I didn't know whether to be on my best friends side and hate her for the things she had done or take my own and try to get to know her again.

I quickly found my answer as I stood and walked up to her small booth and sat myself down across from her.

The bruising on her neck was hard to look at and when she cast her eyes downward I knew she had been crying too. There were no tear stains on her cheeks, so I knew that she had been blinking them back.

"You need someone to play with?" She looks up at me and wipes her nose on her hand before sighing.

"You know how to play poker?" She had a hint of excitement in her eyes, but it was gone when I shook my head no.

"Why the sad face?" She shrugs, sighing as she leaned her head on her hand and looked at the ceiling.

"Oh I don't know. First of all, I'm on a tour bus with three guys. The last place I want to be. And I mean, it's not like my brother didn't totally strangle me half to death yesterday. Would you be smiling if all this happened to you? No. You wouldn't" She answers for me and looks exhausted.

My first time sleeping on the bus was hard, so I wondered if that had just a little bit to do with it, but then again, she was right. I'd be acting the same way if my brother strangled me.

"I don't even know what to do. What am I supposed to do while I'm here? Puzzles? Read some graphic novels? Excuse me, but I'm going to die of boredom!" My mind travels to the posters we still have yet to create. I remembered her always drawing when she was little, maybe she could put the old talent to some good use.

I smile at her and she crosses her arms.

"Don't tell me you have an idea" Oh but I did. Her boring days were gonna be long over.

****

After the show, I make a point to walk over to one of the booths where Velvet was working, getting an acknowledging glance as I approach.

"How'd it go?" Not only had she created the look of the poster and made copies, but she was also helping to sell shirts. It sounds tiny, but her help was going better than I had planned.

"It's better than playing poker by myself. But I've been starving all day. Think you can buy me a corn dog?" She hand me a five dollar bill out of her pocket and I can't help but notice the way her hands shake violently.

Billie told me she'd be going through withdrawal and that it was normal. But it wasn't normal, it was strange and I didn't like it.

I guess there were a lot of things I didn't like in the world, and not being able to make my mind up about Velvet was one of them.

*Velvet’s POV*

I thought being on this tour with my brother and his two friends was going to be terrible. I was right.

There's nothing like being used over and over again to help your brother make money while you standby and watch without a penny to your name, it was hard. I put on a brave face when Mike set me down at the booth with all those scary guys. I couldn't have him or anyone else knowing I was scared.

It's just that I didn't like big crowds, especially ones with these tattooed and pierced middle aged men who were eyeing me like I was a piece of candy. They had to be pedophiles, this is probably the only job they could score and they weren't complaining about it.

Maybe Mike really was trying to be nice and give me something to do, but I doubted it highly. He and Billie were always close and I just couldn't see him choosing me over him. I was settled on the idea that Mike solely wanted to scare me and thought I'd hide out in that tiny little space they call a bed or whatever. I mean seriously, it's big enough for one person and a small dog and your only privacy is a curtain.

I forgot about that idea and stayed in the leather booth all night, looking out the window and crying at the sight of the "Now Leaving California" sign.

I had never been anywhere in my life and now they're shipping me off to travel around the country? No way.

Whatever my family's deal was when they thought about breaking me, they were dead wrong. I'm not going down without a fight, and I'll never be controlled.

Mike comes back with my corn dog and I move away from the scary guys that watch me with no doubt perverted thoughts. I wish I had the guts to give them swift kick in their balls, but unfortunately there were four of them and one of me. Not a great combo. I'd be close to my death for the second time in two days.

I raise an eyebrow as Mike walks along side me with his hands in his pockets, standing tall and observant as if he were being my body guard.

"What's your deal?" He glances down at me before returning to his full height and posture.

"What do you mean? I'm just walking" I start to mimic him, only being exaggerative so he would get my point.

"I know what you're doing. News flash. I don't need a body guard" We both stop and he turns towards me as I welcome myself for an argument that I was sure to win.

"I know you don't. You look like you can handle yourself. And as far as my knowledge goes, I know you can" I nod slowly, finishing my corn dog and throwing away the trash in a nearby trashcan.

"Good point. So why are you walking with me?" He looks as if he wants to say something in a joking manner, but to my surprise he looks sincere.

"I don't want you to feel like you're alone" It had been so long that someone had even connected with me, yet I knew when he said that and the look in his eyes that we had the same thoughts and feelings at one point or another.

"It wouldn't be the first time, Mike. But really, before Billie gets mad you should go find him and pretend that we don't have contact. I'd hate to see you lose your best friend" He continues walking with me until we've found our way back to the tour bus.

"He'll get over it" And right there and then I knew I had made a friend in the world.