•Chapter Forty Six•

****Mike's POV****

My eyes open slowly, and rays of sunlight shine through the crack in the curtains. It's peaceful looking today. Cold and freezing, but peaceful.

I smile at the sight of Velvet sleeping next to me.

She's on the other side of the bed, still facing me, but farther away. Once her stomach got big enough to take up space, snuggling was basically unheard of.

She lays naked, the blanket only covering her waist and what lied below it.

She sleeps peacefully, and the red and purple marks on her breasts and collar bone remind me of what went down last night.

I move towards her and wrap my legs around hers.

It's not long before I touch her stomach and think about my little Holden inside.

Was it possible for someone to love anything as much as I loved them? As much as I loved Velvet and our baby.

Velvet sighs in her sleep and senses me, wrapping her arms around my neck and pulling me close.

Everything is peaceful and quiet for a while, just her and me and Holden. All next to each other.

Then the door knocks and Velvet groans as Addie walks in.

She doesn't seem to care that either of us are laying together, not even dressed. Sure I had boxers on, but Velvet didn't have anything.

Addie smiles, opening the curtains.

"Good morning! Rise and shine, we're going sight seeing!" Velvet groans and pulls the blanket over her head.

"Noooo. Let me sleeeep" Addie shoots me a knowing grin.

I feel my face heat.

"Come on, Velvet. I hear they have the best blueberry waffles here! There's this place called Denny's. It's a small diner about an hour from here. Billie's taking us all out" Velvet slowly uncovers her face and blinks over at Addie.

"What time?" Addie grins.

"About an hour. Get a shower and some clothes on and meet us in our room" Addie leaves and closes the door, leaving us to ourselves.

Velvet looks over at me and sighs, smiling softly at me.

She puts a hand on my jaw.

"Good morning" I smile at her and wrap an arm loosely around her waist.

"Morning" She makes a sound in her throat when I speak, and uncovers herself.

She grabs my hand off her waist and puts it on her stomach.

She tells me to wait, and I feel faint movement under my palm and fingertips.

I smile, she smiles. And somehow I feel that if Holden was right in front of me, he'd smile too.

****

We walk into Denny's and are seated quickly in the busy diner.

Me and V take one side of the booth while Billie and Addie take the other. The boys and Tré sit on either side of the table, and Billie looks bothered by something as he looks at V.

We order our drinks and Velvet smile as she grabs my hand on the seat next to her.

"So we named him last night" Velvet begins, making Addie and Billie Look up from their drinks.

Addie wears an excited smile as she leans over the table. Billie looks interested as well.

"We named him Holden. Holden Michael" Addie smiles largely and Billie looks like he's never heard the name before.

"You know, Holden Caulfield. He's a character in the book The Catcher In The Rye. He's a hero...our Holden will be a hero, too" Billie taps a finger on the table, almost smiling. Almost.

"That name's from a book? Do you think that maybe...do you write? At all?" Billie asks, Velvet looking confused.

"Yeah, kinda. Why?" Billie shrugs.

"I need help with writing a song. It's something that you might be able to help me with" All of us go silent and Addie and V smile at each other, mouths agape.

"Oh...um...sure, Billie. I'll help you" V tucks a piece of hair behind her ear, and the moment is over.

"Great" All of us sip at our drinks until the food arrives.

Then the conversation revolves around our hall of fame gig. And the dresses the girls got, and the music we'll play.

****

"Are you sure I look okay?" V asks as she secures her silky black hair back into it's place in her bun that rests high on her head.

Her makeup is minimum, like always. But she was stunning in her dress.

I swallow my saliva that began to build the minute she walked out. My mouth was watering.

"You look beautiful, V" She sends me a look under her eyebrows.

"I'm serious" I chuckle as she says this.

"So am I, now come on. Stop worrying about yourself. We have a hall of fame to go to" She smiles and I grab her hand, leading us out of our hotel room.

"Holden's excited" She says, meeting my blue eyes with her green ones.

"He's like his Dad" She smiles and a small squeak escapes her as she wraps an arm around mine and leans into me as we walk.

"There's a surprise waiting there for you, V" She looks up at me, looking excited.

"I love surprises!" I nod, smiling.

I grasp her hand.

"You'll love this one" She looks at me with suspicious eyes before turning her gaze ahead.

"Okay" She says, short and sweet.

****
****Velvet's POV****

I gawk at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame in front of me and I can't help but feel out of place. I look over at Mike and he smiles down at me.

"Come on, this way. All the performers go in this hallway backstage. We have our own rooms and everything" I shrug a shoulder and follow him.

We walk down a long hallway before seeing a door labeled: Green Day

I hear voices from the inside and know that Billie Addie and Tré must already be inside.

I walk in, leading the way, and a smile comes to my face.

"Mom!" Mom turns, smiling when she sees me.

She embraces me in a hug, holding me tightly. Being held tightly in her arms again made me miss her even more, or realize how much I did in the first place.

She pulls away and kisses my cheek.

"Well look at you..." She says softly, holding me at arms length and admiring my dress.

"You look beautiful" I blush at her words.

"Thanks, Addie helped me pick it out" She doesn't let me speak too much before setting us down on the nearby couch.

Billie announces their departure to the recording room and me, mom, Addie, and the boys are left in the room together.

"I still haven't heard anything about the baby, Velvet. You haven't called me" I feel guilty and frown a little.

"Sorry. It's a boy" Mom laughs.

"No granddaughter yet. But that's great, honey. Have you come up with a name?" I nod.

"Holden. Holden Michael" Mom smiles and narrows her eyes.

She's trying to figure it out.

Then it comes to her.

"From The Catcher In The Rye?" I nod.

"You're the only one who's gotten it so far" She smiles and kisses my cheek.

"I love it" She leans her head against mine and kisses my forehead.

"Thanks, Mom"