•Chapter Ten•

*Velvet's  POV*

I woke up wrapped around my tiger in the chilly leather bunk. The leather stuck to my thighs as I sat up, and I rub my eyes, sighing as I looked down at Grady.

I had named him yesterday in the cab, figuring he should have a name.

I sat up all the way now, my back leaning against the window. I didn't know what state we were in, but it was sunny and there were trees everywhere.

I close my eyes, wondering if last night was a dream. I had concluded quickly that it was because I never remembered going to the booth to sleep. I would've been in the back room.

The exhaustion must've been getting to me and I just passed out here. And now I'm crazy enough to believe that I actually felt something for Mike. Tour was doing things to me. First I started reading, then I became this friend thing with Mike and now all of a sudden I imagined kissing him.

I brush hair off of my forehead and jump at the sound of my name.

"Velvet..." I gasp quietly before opening my eyes, Billie sitting in front of me with his arms crossed over the table.

How long had he been sitting there? And why on earth was he talking to me?

"Velvet..." Billie says my name again quietly, baiting me to respond.

I blink a few times and rub my eyes again, deciding to play along to his little game.

"What, Billie? What is it? What do you want?" I'm not gonna lie, I was scared of him. I didn't want him near me. I feared that if I said something he didn't like then he'd just reach out and choke me again and this time mom wouldn't be here to save me.

Billie looks down at his hands before back up at me.

We sit there until I lose track of our time, engrossed in his apology. Billie had never once apologized to me in my life and actually meant it and I didn't see any reason why he would mean it now. The only problem is that I liked hearing him say it and for some odd reason I believed him.

"Okay" Billie smiles at me until we smile at each other.

"Really?" I nod and he gives a single one back, seeming satisfied.

"Okay...yeah. Okay" He repeats it to himself and our heartfelt moment is over. Just like that.

I didn't know what more I was expecting, really. I just never imagined him to do something like this and I guess I expected it to be more dramatic if it ever did.

****

The bus is mostly quiet as I watch Billie and Tre walk out, getting ready for their next show. 

I watch some forensic show, wondering who killed the woman and her three kids if there was proof the husband didn't do it.

Ready for a bathroom break during the commercials, I sigh at the closed door.

Forgetting Billie and Tre had ever passed me, I figured it was one of them.

"C'mon bird brain, open up!" I pound on the door, welcomed by Mike who dry's his freshly shaved face with a towel.

"That wasn't very nice" I smile, apologizing softly as I wondered if last night had really happened or not.

"How did I wake up in the booth freezing my ass off this morning?" I ask, wanting him to confirm that we had spent part of the night together.

"I gave you a blanket. You fell asleep next to me. I didn't want someone to come in and surprise me if you were there" Confirmed. My cheeks heat up and he smiles at me.

"It wasn't a dream. I promise" I cross my arms, raising an eyebrow.

"You didn't want me to stay?" He chuckles and looks towards the outside as the guys call his name.

"Very funny. I'm not answering that question, Velvet. I'll see you in a few hours" I catch his wrist as he begins to walk out.

"Come on, just answer the question. Would you have let me stay if it weren't for Billie and Tre?" He sighs, using the wrist I catch to wrap me around him. 

"You know I would have. Now I have to go, I'll be late" Pulling away, our cheeks brush and I sigh.

"We wouldn't want that" He smiles at me and grabs his bass leaning against the wall before kissing my cheek so quick I wasn't sure I felt it.

The warmth that spread there seconds later and my face flustered in the mirror was enough to confirm my always confused manner. 

He had kissed me and I had gotten so weak because of it. If one little kiss did that then what else could he do? And how much worse would I get?