•Chapter Thirty One•

*Mike's POV*

Velvet had been acting weird for the past two days, but today was the day when I gave up and finally asked her what was up after this little incident happened:

(Little memoir of what went down)

"V? I'm home!" After a minute of looking in the kitchen and grabbing a beer out of the fridge, I recognize the sound of my closet door closing heavily.

I smile to myself and approach the closed bedroom door as I hear a plop and rustling about on the bed. A kind of struggling noise.

I open the door slowly and let it glide the rest of the way open.

I watch as V pretends to be engaged in her "Jane Eyre" book, and can't help but laugh.

"Must be a pretty good story, huh?" She looks up, a big smile on her face as she acts surprised to see me. But the smile was real.

"It must be. I've read it three times. Welcome home" I can't help but let my laugh come out.

"You've read it so much you can read it in your sleep. And upside down too, right?" She looks confused, then blushes a little as she throws the upside down book aside.

Her mouth opens, but I beat her to it.

"What's in the closet?" She crosses her arms, smiling smugly.

"Absolutely nothing. What an odd question" Odd? Now she's using odd words.

"C'mon, V. What is it?" I approach the closet, and she jumps off the bed to block my way.

"I told you nothing" I reach an arm around her to grab the knob.

"Then let me look inside" She raises an eyebrow.

"Do that and I'll cut your hand off after I break your arm. You've been warned, just saying" She steps out of the way and motions for me to open it.

My hand is still on the knob, and I'm so tempted, but the hard look in her eye tells me not to take the chance.

I take my hand away.

She smiles and skips her way over to the bed where she begins reading her book upright this time.

I'd have to sneak a peek at it later when she was asleep.

I let out a breath and climb on the bed next to her, laying my head on her chest as I read snippets of what she was.

"Love you" I try sucking up, but I mean it and she laughs.

"Sure" She chuckles, then places a kiss on my forehead.

****Velvet's POV****

"Do you think it's enough? Finding him a gift was hard enough, and I found this. But I don't want to just get him one thing..." I have trouble as I show Anne Mike's gift, and wait for her response.

She smiles sweetly at me.

"He'll love it, Don't kid yourself. Just because someone might get someone else only one gift, doesn't mean it's any less of a gift" I shrug, smiling at the memories that caused me to buy the gift in the first place.

I smile to myself and nod.

"Yeah, everything will work out"

Hearing a rustling sound, I sigh and open my eyes, watching Mike look over his shoulder at me.

"What are you doing?" I pull the blanket to my chin, noticing that he had put one over me.

"Using the bathroom" He stands and I scoff.

"Mmhmm. Go ahead you big baby, open the closet. You have my permission" I turn over on my side so I don't see his reaction, and can hear his fast footsteps to the closet.

The closet door opens, and I shut my eyes tightly to force down the doubt that he won't like it. Or remember it.

I hear silence, and turn on my side to open my eyes.

My eyes never open, and a gasp stays in my throat as his rough lips meet mine for a wet kiss.

"Why would you even think of this?" He asks after pulling away, my eyes opening to see a smile on his face.

"I saw it in the store. They have these little bargain things where there's old forgotten stuff in them. You had all of the album's and I broke one when I was little. This is me making up for it" Mike's new Van Halen album completes his collection, and I still feel the secret burning a hole in me.

"And I didn't break it on accident. I broke it in half because you spent to much time with Billie and I got jealous. Sorry" He chuckles, putting the vinyl record in the player and turning the music on softly.

"I could tell by the break it wasn't an accident, V. But I'm glad you told me the truth. And I'm glad you bought me a new one" He comes back to the bed, climbs under the blanket with me and holds me close to him.

"At least I know if my record's ever get broken that you're mad at me" I smile to myself.

"I'll break the ones you don't care about, just so if our fight ever gets bad, it won't get worse because it was one of your favorites" I feel him shaking his head against me.

"You're strange. I like it"