•Chapter Thirty Five•

****Velvet's POV****

I sit uncomfortably in the hard metal chair. Come to think of it, these lopsided unsteady things they call seats probably haven't been replaced since the place opened. And they probably bought them at a thrift shop, not that there's anything wrong with that. The point is, this place needed more comfortable seating arrangements.

Mike had excused himself to the bathroom a few minutes ago, and Billie and Tré were backstage rehearsing for their performance. Everyone loved the local bands here, but tonight the place was jammed packed the second they heard word of Green Day playing here.

I lean my head on my hand, twirling around my beer that I had kept in my hand and close to me for the whole time. No one would be slipping anything in my drink tonight, and the only person I had in mind going home with was Mike.

But he would protect me tonight if something were to happen. I know him. I know he would.

"This isn't fair, I paid for my drink and you didn't give me change! That's stealing you know!" I roll my eyes at an annoying voice, some customer complaining about their pennies not given to them.

I guess that's what you expect from the penny pitchers around here.

The voice dies down and out hear footsteps approaching closer.

I get nervous.

Please be Mike.

"Speaking of stealing things..." I recognize the voice, turn in my seat and stare into the eyes of the devil. Also known as Mike's ex girlfriend.

I raise an eyebrow, crossing my arms. Being myself, in my head when I say "don't get involved" my own voice cuts me off and I speak before thinking.

"Like parking spaces?" Anastasia or whatever the hell her name is chuckles at me, narrowing her eyes.

"I think you know exactly what I'm talking about. Boyfriends. That's what you stole from me" I shrug, thanking a sip of my beer.

"It was his choice to break up with you. I had nothing to do with that" She shakes her head, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, I guess he just couldn't let you go" She mumbles.

"I had nothing to do with that either..." I look at her boldly. "It's not my fault the guy wanted something better. I must be more satisfying than you"

Now the real fight begins.

"You think you're more satisfying?" I smile to myself, a hand on my chest.

"Isn't it obvious?" Her eyes turn black, her eyebrow twitches in rage, and her feet start towards me.

She points a finger and I don't listen.

"Lay that finger on me and I swear to god I'll put you in a hospital, or worse" She pushes at my shoulder.

"Come on then, hoar. Prove yourself" My jaw ticks and I push my drink aside as I hop off my chair.

"You're nothing but a nasty count, you know that? You see that wall over there? It's a nice walk and honestly I'd like to bash your ducking skull open on it" The bitch pushes my shoulders again and this time I don't have time to warn myself.

I punch her and my fist stings.

My heart beats quickly, like I've just been scared.

And I have. I just scared the shit out of myself. I don't want to fight her, my knuckles hurt and tears almost well up in my eyes. I'm angry and enraged, but I gasp as I punch and I want to go hide.

We're both standing with our jaws dropped, my hand almost covers my mouth as she stares at me, and soon enough a crowd has gathered and I hear Mike struggling to get through.

Then she sees him, then it's all over.

She wants me dead and her guy back.

Looks like this princess was going to be told no for the first time.

She lunges at me, but my reflex is are quick and I'm already on top of her as she pulls my hair and I grab a fist full of hers.

I slam her head to the ground, hold my elbow to her throat, and listen to her struggle before she dominates me.

For the second time in my life I'm being choked, the room gets hazy, and my ears ring.

I don't remember much after that.

It's all one big blur.

I remember Mike's angry face at her. I remember him yelling and picking me up. And then I remember flashing lights.

Now I sit completely conscious with a headache looking through bars as Mike has crossed arms and Billie wears a frown.

I chuckle lowly as I'm let out of the claustrophobic cell.

"Remember that time when I was eighteen and you told me you'd never bail me out again? You're a true hero, Billie" I pat him on the back, but he doesn't look pleased.

I hang my head as Mike pulls me into his chest and strokes a sore spot on my head. I wince, making him quit.

"She touched me first...it wasn't all my fault" Now tears are stinging my eyes because no matter how much he will deny it, I know he's disappointed in me.

"I know...I know. I'm just glad you're okay" But I wasn't okay. I just wanted to go home and have Mike kiss my boo boo's and tell me that he was proud of me for sticking up for myself.

"I'll pay you back the money for my bail, Billie. Honest" I take my wallet out of my pocket, pulling out the money.

Suddenly, Billie turns around.

"It's not about the money, Velvet! We had a show tonight, and important show! And you..." His hands clench into fists again like he wants to choke me.

I feel my neck hesitantly, still remembering the feeling of his fingers there.

"And you ruined everything! That's all you know how to do is ruin things!..." Billie sighs to himself, running his fingers through his hair.

"Beej...come on, she didn't..." And then Mike trails off and I know that I really have ruined everything.

Mike gets a stern look in his eye.

"She didn't ruin anything on purpose" On purpose. Those words stung me like he had just slapped me.

Even Mike knew it this time.

Tears sting my eyes, but I never let them fall.

"I just wish you would grow up, Velvet. That's the only thing I ever asked you to do. Just to grow up" Mike sends a sympathetic look my way and I keep my eyes on the floor.

The ride home is dead silent, and Mike ends up giving Billie the money for my bail.

I walk inside, take off my clothes and lock the bathroom door as I run a bath. I can hear muffled voices from the window, one sounding angry, the other sounding disappointed. And I knew exactly which one belonged to who.

I sink down into the water, bruises covering me as I begin to think dangerous thoughts.