•Chapter Nine•

Pulling on a pair of shorts after my shower, Velvet never knocks as she walks in, my heart leaping in my chest at the thought of her walking in just a little earlier.

"Do you knock? I could've been naked and you would've been petrified" She scoffs, sitting down on my little bunk and letting her feet hang over the edge as she lays back.

"I'm eighteen, Mike. It's not like I've never seen one before" I could hear the delay in her voice and something else that I couldn't quite pick up.

I sit down on the edge of the bunk and watch her as she closes her eyes and sighs a deep exhale.

"Mike?" Rubbing some water away from my hairline, I stare at the wall across from me and brace myself for whatever she's about to say next.

"What, Velvet?" I held my head in my hands and could see her swing her feet back and forth out of nervousness.

"Are you..." She starts to ask and then stops, sighing as she barely whispered my name.

"Yes" She sits up but is still behind me, her knees up to her chest.

"I didn't even finish" I shake my head, rubbing my eyes.

"You didn't need to. I knew what you were asking. At least I have the balls to tell you the truth though, right?" She's silent for a minute before nodding and scooting up to lean her head on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry about earlier. I shouldn't have called you out like that. We all know you only wanted to see my tattoo" I chuckle at her sarcasm, getting one back in return.

"What is it? I'm dying to know" I was, I was craving just to know what her ink was.

"Careful, Mike. We've only just begun and you're already wanting me to take my clothes off" I turn towards her and try not to smile in the dark room that only allows me to see her figure.

"What do you mean we've just begun? I thought you didn't want anything to do with a smart ass like me?" She shrugs, her shoulders moving against me.

"I've just never had anyone like me the way you do, Mike. Everyone just thinks I'm a liar and a thief and a bitch. And I am. And I know you know that. But for some reason you want us to be together so I can end up breaking your heart someday. And I like you, Mike. I like you a lot. I just feel like this is another thing I'll end up ruining" There it was. She said it. She likes me back. She's just scared that it'll end up badly someday.

"That's life. People get together, someone makes a mistake and they break up and it all happens for a reason. All you can do is take a chance and hope it works out, right?" She nods and I can tell she's looking up at me.

Her fingers touch my lips and feel their way to my cheek.

"What are you doing?" Her weight is closer to me now and I place an arm behind her as I support my leaning weight.

"I want to kiss you, Mike. I just can't see you to do it" I take her hand away from my face and hold it in my own.

"Find your way" She was confident, and I knew that by the way she didn't hesitate.

She leans forward and her lips touch my cheekbone so softly that I'm not sure I felt it.

"Am I hot or cold?" I smile, the ends of her hair tickling my bicep.
"Hot" I breath out, feeling short of my breath as if I had just run a marathon.

"I meant to your lips" She sends a playful smack into my shoulder before leaning in again.

This time her lips touch the corner of my mouth and it doesn't take her long to put them where they should be.

It's one kiss. One hot minute of nothing but our lips moving together.

*Velvet’s  POV*

Kissing Mike was unlike anything I had ever experienced in my life. I remember my first time getting high and how incredible it made me feel. It was the best feeling I had ever gotten since now.
I felt like I could jump up and do a thousand push ups or run around the bus a million times. I had this extra boost of energy and I wanted to yell to Scott the cab driver and tell him everything.

And then we stop and everything around us seems to do the same thing because none of it mattered. All that mattered was that I had finally found someone who liked me regardless of what everyone knew or thought.

He lays down on his side and I follow him, my forehead against his chest as he put an arm around me.

His heart was beating so hard that I could feel it radiating throughout me until both of ours seemed to fall in sync.

Then the reality hit me and I could think of so many more reasons why I hated Billie.

"What about Billie, Mike? What are we gonna do? He'd never be okay with this" I sigh, wanting to close my eyes and wish the whole world would go away.

"Let's be dangerous and keep it a secret. What do you say?" I nod and he kisses my forehead.

"No one knows" I agree, repeating it back to him.

It would be simple. I had kept secrets from Billie before. This would just be a bigger one. A much bigger one. But I knew I could do it because Mike would do the same for me.