4- Proposition

"You've got to find yourself first. Everything else'll follow."
-Charles de Lint

"-Charles de Lint

°•°

I agreed to do the makeover Lia suggested, but I had some ground rules.

"I keep the way I dress. There will only be a slight change. Nothing too drastic." I say to her.

"Okay, the skirts have got to go. They are way too long. We can get shorter skirts if you want that land on your thigh, and we can also get matching stockings to go with them. But only like two skirts. You need a few more dresses in your closet as well. We clearly didn't pick up enough. You have enough flats; you need some more boots and heels. Your eyebrows need to be plucked." She puts emphasis on the word need.

"And your hair needs to be changed. Maybe a little layer and a side bang would do you some good. I'll let you wear your glasses since that's a major part of you. They look really nice anyway."

"Okay, hold on for a minute. How does this solve anything?" I ask her. I was getting lightheaded from all she said.

"Tiger, you go unnoticed because you've been dressing like that since freshman year, and you hold your head down wherever you walk." She pauses. "Basically, we need that girl at camp to come shining through, but even better. I know you're going to love it. What girl doesn't like a makeover?"

She was right about the makeover part. "Yeah, I get you, but let us say Harry sees me. That doesn't mean he will immediately fall desperately in love with me." I jump off the bed, saying I opened my laptop and Googled anything related to the study of human social reactions.

"It says here that it's best if both people have something in common." I read out loud."And it is scientifically proven that if a guy or girl sees that person with the opposite sex or the same sex, that person becomes desirable to the onlookers."

"Exactly!" Lia jumps and claps her hands. "But let's focus on the first thing that needs to be done. Get noticed physically as an attractive woman and not just a nerd."

"Wait, wait, hold on. Does this mean I have to get a boyfriend?" I question, my mouth hanging open in an unsuitable fashion.

Lia laughs, scaring me even more. She can't be serious. I can barely talk to a boy without stuttering. At least I got my first kiss out of the way. Thanks to Vinny from kindergarten.

Lia and I agree that we will begin my transition on Saturday. Though she still insists that I talk to Harry just the same during the week, It's Wednesday, and I couldn't muster up the courage to do it yesterday. I walk towards my locker and open it.

The lockers here at Gold Valley are decorated by the students. Students from Studio Arts lockers look the best. Mine, however, is just fine. It's painted white with music notes scattered all over, with a quote at the bottom by the lovely Jane Austen. Before I could put my books in, someone slammed it shut, almost chopping my fingers off. I look at the person with shock coursing through my veins.