19- Explanations & Confessions

"The world is so obsessed with defining sexuality for everyone and attaching labels to it. Any time any person openly leaves the sexual norm, their sexuality becomes, more often than not, the absolute defining characteristic of that person. It becomes the first thing people think about and often the first thing they mention. Every other part of that person all but disappears."

°•°

°•°

Gold Valley's Grease Musical cast list was posted on the bulletin board yesterday, like Mrs. Penelope had said. The cast is as follows:

*Sandy Young Yasmina Farbridge
-Betty Rizzo-Mayverick Day
-Frenchy-Whitley Davis
Mary Gretchen Smithscove
Jan Brittany Gilbert
Danny Zuko, Eric Calhoun
Kenickie, Adam Ceaser
Doody Jackson McCall
Putzie: Cooper Overstreet
Sonny Levi Gregory
Teen Angel: Jordan Fisher

Today is the first day of rehearsals. Which begins right now, to be exact. The piano was still placed on the stage along with the other instruments. I didn't get to congratulate Sadie on getting the part she auditioned for, and I didn't get to do a mini-pity party for Lia not getting hers. This was her very first play that she wasn't in. She loved getting dressed up and playing characters. Now she would have to help with the costumes.

"This is Karmageddon. That's what it is. I didn't get the part because I refused to get vocal training like my mom suggested. I found it to be such a drag. Now this is what I get. This is a total big fail, Mary." She grumbles. "If I'm not playing Frenchy, no one else is going. How did Cooper get a part when he didn't even audition? This is pure hate."

It's funny how a second ago I was just thinking about her, and she just happened to show up beside me after I was through. I've been standing by the stage, listening to what Mrs. Penelope was saying to start off rehearsals. I only heard half of what she said, and that was bad seeing that she was talking to the music club members. I turn to face Lia.

"Lia, take a chillaxative. You're overreacting." I try to calm her down. Whenever she doesn't get what she wants, she gets a bit crazy.

"How could they choose Whitley over me?" She retorts, completely ignoring what I said. "I'm more ginger than her!"

"I don't think it has to do with who's hair is redder." I said it slowly to prevent her from lashing out at me. "Don't Nancy Drew this."

"She better watch her back. There is no way I'm going to help make a costume for her that was originally meant for me." She puts both her hands on her hips. Yup. That's it. There's nothing I can do. Her eyebrows crunch together as she stares at the stage where Whitley was talking to the guy who got Teen Angel. Whitley I recognize myself as one of Sadie's friends. It's funny how Sadie and her friends all auditioned, and they all got the part together. I see Cooper walking down the steps of the auditorium, heading our way.