35 | Falling For Him

2017 © All rights reserved

Chapter thirty-five | Falling for him

"Mom?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper in attempts to not wake Harry who was fast asleep beside me.

"So you're pregnant?" She questioned, a bit of amusement in her voice.

As quietly as I could, I eased off of the Wttbebed and slipped out of the room. I headed down the stairs and into the living room before continuing our conversation.

"Mom, what do you want?" I asked. I wanted to cut to the chase. I hadn't talked to her in almost four years and out of the blue she calls me.

"Laurie called me about a week ago, she thought I should know I would be a grandparent in less than a month." She answered. "Let me guess, some drunk one night stand and you have no idea who the father of the little bastard is huh?" She added.

Instantly, I felt a wave of anger wash over me as my free hand flexed into a fist and I clenched my jaw to the point that it actually hurt. If she thought I was just going to sit here and take her insults, she had another thing coming.

"Listen, I thought just maybe, maybe this call was to patch things up but obviously I was wrong. So, if you've only called me to insult me then I might as well hang up now." I hissed.

She laughed, "Selena, honestly, I thought just maybe you had got your life together in these past few years but obviously, I was wrong."

"Screw you!" I shouted, angrily as tears welled in my eyes. I loved my mother but I couldn't do this anymore, I couldn't continue to think that one day she would come around and we could be a happy family, I was done.

"How dare you! After everything I've done for your ungrateful—"

"—you never did anything for me! From the moment I was nine years old I was forced to fend for myself!" I cried.

"I made sure you had everything you needed!" She hissed. "I was a good mother to you,"

"If you called spewing insults and belittling your child every time they turned around a good mom, then you were a amazing mother." I snapped, sarcastically. "I love you mom but I'm done. I can't do this anymore and I won't let you do this to me anymore."

I added, holding back tears not wanting her to know I was on the brink of a breakdown right now and trying to keep it together.

"You're right, I'm done too. You and that mistake of a child have a nice life." She scoffed before the line went dead and I sunk to the floor, crying.

I heard the distant sound of footsteps somewhere behind me and lifted my head from my lap. Through the blur of tears, I saw Harry standing now in
front of me with a look of concern etched across his tired looking face.

"Selena, it's late. What are you still doing up?" He questioned before he noticed my tear stained face and quickly eased down beside me. "Sel, what's going on?"

I simply shook my head as a fresh wave of tears begun to fall and I rested my head against his shoulder and he put his arm around me.

"Is there something wrong with the baby?" He asked, fear lacing his voice. "You're beginning to scare me,"

Taking in a deep breath to relax myself,  I swallowed back the lump that had formed in my throat so I could respond.