Ch. 42 - "You don't know?"

• Rachael POV •

There was this beeping noise that I kept hearing, it took a few forceful eye blinks to make out that I was in another hospital room.

I looked around and seen IV's in my arms, hooked up to a machine, and blood all over my arms, but I don't think it was mine.

"Rachael?" I heard. I looked up and Dad was walking in my room. "How did you know I was here?" I asked, because I'm pretty sure I was unconscious, and that it wasn't daylight when we got hit.

"The doctor called me off of Taylor's phone.." He sighed. "Taylor? Where is he?" I asked, mentally panicking. "What happened Rachael?" He asked, changing the subject.

I sighed, "I don't know– I reached to grab my phone and I heard car tires screech... I don't remember." I cried. "Were you the one driving?" He asked. I nodded, wiping my eyes with the back of my hand.

"That explains it," He said, getting up. "Dad wait." I said. He looked over at me, waiting for me to say something. "Where's Taylor?" I asked. He ignored me and went out the door anyway.

I sighed, putting my face in my hands.

"This is all my fault," I mumbled to myself. "No it's not," I heard. I looked up and Mom was walking over to my bed. She looked at me and placed her hands in mine.

"I'm so glad you're awake," She smiled, kissing my forehead. "How long was I sleeping?" I asked. "Not long, just a few hours," She responded, taking something out of her purse.

"Are you hungry?" She asked. I nodded eagerly, I was actually really hungry. "Sammy and the girls went to go get food, but I have this if you're really that hungry." She chuckled, giving me a granola bar.

"Where are the boys?" I asked, taking it. "They're at magcon, they wanted to be here but Bart said no." She said rolling her eyes. For some reason no one likes Bart.

And I don't know why.

"I was so worried about you last night," she told me, "Speaking of last night, Bryn is doing good," She added. "Oh that's good, Taylor and I were bawling." I nodded. That's when she looked directly at me, "Were you driving?"

Second time I'm being asked this, how don't they know this?

I nodded. "Do you remember who hit you?" She asked. I shook my head, "I wasn't looking at the road," I said, my voice cracking. She looked down and nodded, before looking back up and giving me a slight smile.

"I've got to check on Taylor, but I'll be back," She told me. "Wait mom," I paused, she turned around. "What happened to Taylor? Why do you have to check on him?" I asked. She shook her head and turned away, "Just get some rest Rache, I'll be back," She said, walking back out.

I sighed, this was totally my fault.

•••

"Rachael wake up!" I heard. I rolled the other way and pushed my head under my pillow. "Let me sleep," I groaned.

"We bought chinese food."

I slowly get up and look around, sure enough, my plastic bin is on the table beside the bed.

I groaned, "Thank god, I'm so hungry." They start laughing. "So glad that you're awake," Chelsea smiles, hugging me. I look up, "Okay when I was asleep did the world suddenly change? Because Chelsea is willingly hugging me." I say.

She glares and lets go of me. "Sorry, my best friend was in a car crash and I couldn't hug her?" She snaps. "Chelsea," Sammy warns. She shakes her head and grins, "Just eat, I'll be out there if you need me." She leaves.