Ch. 43 - "Sometime before you."

• Hayes POV •

"Mom I have to see him!" Rachael screamed. I watched as she just sat there, bursting out in tears.

"Rachael," I sighed. She looked up at me and frowned, "This is a lie, there is no way Taylor's going to die!" She yelled, tears pouring out of her eyes.

I walked over to her and held her as tight as I could, there was no way I was letting her go through with this alone, I don't understand the pain she's going through but I'll help her get through it.

She's one of my best friends and has been with me through tough stuff, so I'll be with her through anything.

She laid her head on my chest and I loosened my grip.

"Hayes," I heard. The parents left the room so it was only me and her.

I looked down and her face was still buried in my chest, "Yeah Rachael?" She shuffled a bit before clearing her throat. "What if Taylor doesn't make it? What do I do? Am I supposed to live without him?" She asked, her voice croaking.

I really don't know how I was supposed to answer.

"He will, don't think the worst things possible, it will eat you alive," I said, shrugging.

I felt her nod before she pulled away, weakly smiling at me with teary eyes. "I love you Hayes, thank you for always being there," She said, wiping away her tears.

I smiled and kissed her forehead, "I love you too, I won't ever leave you." I pulled her closer to me as soon as she started to sob again.

If only there was something I could do, but whatever happens to Taylor is gods choice, so I really can't do anything right now.

I just want her to be okay and that's what I'm going to try and do.

"Do you want to get out of here for awhile?" I asked. "I can't leave Taylor," She sobbed. I shook my head, "No I mean to leave for awhile, to get your mind off of him." I told her.

She shrugged, "I guess, I'm kind of hungry." I chuckled and she smiled. "Okay, just let me get your clothes and tell the parents," I told her.

She nodded and I walked out to the waiting room.

"How is she?" Mom asked. "She's alright, I guess," I shrugged, walking over to Kellie. "Oh uh hi Hayes," She smiled, awkwardly. I chuckled, "You brought Rachael an extra pair of clothes right?"

She nodded and grabbed them out of her bag, handing them to me. "Thanks," I smiled begging to walk away. "Wait Hayes, her shoes." She said stopping me.

I grabbed her shoes and walked into the room again.

"Kellie's the one who picked out your clothes," I told her. She smiled. "Okay, just let me change and we'll leave." She said pushing me out of the room.

I chuckled and turned to everyone.

The boys smirked. "So loverboy, what's going on?" Cameron asked. I raised an eyebrow, "Exactly why am I a lover boy?" I asked.

"The way you look at Rache, we can tell." Nash smirked. "You like her," Carter added. I groaned, rolling my eyes. "Boys," Mom warned.

"It's young love ma," Nash told her. Dad started laughing. "Nash just let him be, or we'll tell everyone about Ashley," Dad said. I chuckled, "Yeah Nash." I teased, earning a glare from him.

"Well for your information, I no longer acknowledge Ashley," Nash said, rolling his eyes. I laughed. "Wait Nash, who's Ashley?" Carter asked. That only made me laugh harder.

He growled, "I swear to god Hayes if you don't shut up–" He said getting cut off by mom, "And you'll do what Nash? What did I tell you boys about fighting, I don't want anymore of that nonsense," She scolded.

The boys laughed and we stopped. "Hey Hayes ready to go?" I heard Rachael ask. I turn around and immediately my jaw drops.

I don't know if it's either her outfit or the boys teasing me about liking her, but right now, she looks beautiful.

"Uh, yeah.." I trailed, laughing a bit. "Oh my gosh Hayes just make a move," I heard. I turned around and Kellie was smirking at me.

I blushed, "Can everyone just shut up." I shook my head. "Hayes we see the look on your face, you clearly like her," Shawn chuckled.

Yeah even if I do, it's not that noticeable. Plus she's right there.

Matthew shook his head, "Nah, the way Hayes looks at Kayla is real love," He said. I started blushing all over again, me and Kayla used to have a thing.

"Who's Kayla?" I heard. I turned around, again, and it was Kale. Just the perfect time for her to be here, whoo hoo.

Perfect.

I shook my head, "Just a girl I had a thing with," I told her, acting like it was no big deal. But it was. She crossed her arms, "Oh and when was this?"

I shrugged, "Sometime before you." She rolled her eyes, "Well–" But before she could even finish Rachael cuts her off. "I'm actually really hungry, can you and Hayes discuss this later?" She asked.

I smirked, but quickly looked away when Kale looked at me.

"Yeah, go ahead it's whatever." Kale said. I watched as she sat back in her seat.

"Hayes you almost had yourself murdered there for a sec," Carter chuckled. 

"Glad I didn't," I chuckled, agreeing with him.

•••

• Rache POV •

Me and Hayes were sitting in Taco Bell, quietly eating.

He cleared his throat, "So, how are you feeling?" He asked. I looked up at him. "I'm fine," I said. He nodded and kept eating.

I was about to let us sit in peace but then I remembered something from earlier before.

"Hayes?" I asked. He looked up, "Yeah?" He asked. I smiled, "Who's Kayla?" I asked, and immediately he stopped smiling.

He shook his head, "Just a girl I dated before Kaley, I have no feelings for her anymore though." He told me. I nodded and began eating again.

I don't know why it's such a bad thing to talk about her, I didn't even know Hayes dated anyone before Kaley, I thought she was his first girlfriend.

Never would I have thought they would break up either, they were inseparable.

"Um, can we go back to the hospital? I'm feeling tired so I should just drop you off," He said. I nodded and we walked to the cab.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

honestly I feel so incomplete when a book I'm reading hasn't been updated for awhile so I'm going to try hard and update this frequently and finish this damn book

so what I'm saying is expect more !!