Chapter 40: Old Feelings (I)

*flashback, 10 months ago*

Vanessa is in art class, randomly doodling on her history notes, before the instructor speaks up. "Today, I want you to draw someone important."

"Someone important? Like who?"

"I don't mean your average cliché, like your parents. I mean someone really important, like your best friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, or a teacher that has helped you out," Her instructor says. "Get personal with it. Let me into your mind."

Vanessa has many important people in her life that she doesn't know who to draw. "This actually might be kind of fun....,"

So she just starts drawing.

"What has you all smiley today?" Someone asks.

"More like who." The art teacher smirks, earning a glare from Vanessa.

"Just answer the question," Someone else says.

"If it's that hoe that keeps staring at me like a piece of meat, we need to have a serious conversation," James says, making everyone laugh.

"I know good and well it isn't her,"

"Do I look stupid? She has a boyfriend." Vanessa chuckles.

"Sodoesthepersonyou'rethinkingof but that's totally beside the point,"

"How do you know who I'm thinking of?" Vanessa asks, looking at her teacher.

"You talk about her 24/7 Vanessa. I'm not stupid,"

Everyone laughs, as they go back to their self portraits.

~

Sammy comes in the classroom about 45 minutes later, late as always. Her hair is disheveled, she's wearing a busty t-shirt and a short skirt. She stands behind Vanessa; scratching her nails against the chair to get her attention, but it doesn't work, because Vanessa is too focused. She resorts to a technique known to work. She drops her pencil in front of Vanessa's table, and bends all the way over to get it. Vanessa pulls a face, but goes back to drawing.

"What are you drawing?" Sammy asks, sensually leaning towards Vanessa.

"She said draw someone important to me,"

"Would that be me?"

"No," Vanessa says, causing everyone to laugh.

"I'm going to end up on your paper, watch." Sammy chuckles.

"No, you're not. Go away."

"Fine then," Sammy says, walking away.

Vanessa sighs, and successfully finishes the drawing about 20 minutes later. She lifts the paper off the table and looks at it closely.

Normani Kordei Hamilton is a strong, fierce, resilient woman that Vanessa couldn't help but to adore.

But not everyone has to know that.