Chapter 42: "I Am Always With You" (I)

Normani is talking to Vanessa on the phone while she's at work.

"...Yeah princess, I totally get that," Normani says, throwing her plate in the trash.

"You're in Houston?" Vanessa asks.

"Yeah, I'm in Houston," Normani replies. "I can't wait until you come back."

"I know, but we need the money, so." Vanessa solemnly snickers.

"I miss you so much." Normani pouts, sitting down on the couch.

"I miss you too." Vanessa replies with the same affection.

"Mommy," Alayna says, standing in front of Normani.

"Yes princess?" Normani asks, curiously.

"We don't have any more crackers, or jelly," Alayna says.

"Alright. Baby I gotta go to the store really quick," Normani says.

"Okay, I'll be here. I love you," Vanessa says.

"Alright, I love you too," Normani says, hanging up. "Let me go get my shoes and--"

"--Mom. We're literally going to the store." Alayna chuckles, referring to the fact that Normani is wearing flip flops.

"Alright alright. Let's go then." Normani chuckles, opening the door, and locking it.

They get what they went for, and come back to see Derrick sitting on her couch.

This startles Normani. "...How'd you get in?" She asks, as her and Alayna put up the groceries.

"I used the spare key," Derrick says.

"That's the key she bought so I could get in the house when she's not here. Could you please put it back where it was after you leave?" Alayna asks, politely.

"That was very polite princess." Normani says in a soft tone, smiling at Alayna.

"Thank you mommy," Alayna says, smiling back at Normani.

"Who said I was leaving?" Derrick asks.

This makes them both stop as Derrick comes in the kitchen. "Go clean your room Alayna," Normani says, in an authoritative tone.

"Yes ma'am," Alayna says, walking off.

Derrick walks into the kitchen at this time. "Where's Dustin?"

"I broke up with him a while ago dad, I told you that," Normani says.

"Why?"

"He cheated on me,"

"Did he apologize?"

"No. He cheated on me twice dad. I was taking anymore," Normani says.

"Why'd you get with him then?" Derrick asks.

"Because you kept nagging me to get with him, so I thought it would work," Normani says.

"You could've made it work," Derrick says.

"And here we go again." Normani sighs. "You just don't want me to be with Vanessa, simply because she's a girl."

"You need someone that can provide for you," Derrick says.

"She can provide for me. She can build stuff, fix my car, and she's good all-around," Normani says.