Chapter 36

Jordan

"Just stop beating around the bush and admit that you did it. We have you on camera." The cop shouted, angrily slamming his hands down onto the table as if that was supposed to scare me. I rubbed my eyes and yawned, pretending to listen to him yell and shit. I had been here at the police station all night and I'm fucking tired. I just wanted to go home so I could get high and sleep.

"I'm not saying anything until my lawyer gets here." I stated, sitting back in the cold metal chair and folding my arms over my chest. "You might as well make this easy and own up to it. I'm tired of people like you fucking everything up." Officer Terry said.

The door swung open and my lawyer appeared dressed in business attire. "I'd like to speak to my client alone." She said, giving the officer a glare. "Whatever." He mumbled as he left out of the room.

"Have they done anything out of the ordinary?" She questioned as she cupped my chin and examined my face closely. "Nah. Everything's smooth." I said, smirking at her. I loved it when she switched it up and dressed professionally. "How much time they trying to give me?" I asked.

"10 years if you plead guilty." She said and I sighed as I stared down at the metal table. "That's a long time." I mumbled to myself. "You were originally at twenty but I talked them into giving you ten. I tried to get the time reduced to 5, but they're not going for it." She said.

"There's nothing you can do?" I ask and she shook her head. "You'll have to turn yourself in by this weekend." She said, looking like she was about to cry. "Don't cry." I said, watching her push her tears back before they could even fall.

"You can leave, but remember what I said." She says as she got up from the table and reached for the door knob. After getting my stuff back, I went outside to go and talk to her.

"Why you mad?" I say, grabbing her arm, forcing her to turn around. "You never think shit through, Jordan!" She snapped with tears rushing from her eyes. "I had to do it." I responded, reaching out and wiping her tears away but she pushed me back.

"Don't touch me. Just get the fuck away from me." She says before climbing into her car. "Johanna stop tripping." I said, getting in the passenger side. She gave me a look like she was silently telling me to shut the fuck up. And so I did.

**

I was seated on the couch next to Nala with Noah passed out across my lap. He slept with his mouth slightly open and one of his arms dangling off the side of the couch.

"You said you wanted to talk to me. Wassup?" Nala asked, turning the TV off and looking at me. "I'm going away for a while." I said and she grew a distant look on her face like she didn't know what to say or do.

"How long?" She said, her voice cracking and shit. I knew she was getting ready to cry and I hate it when she does that. "10 years." I mumbled, not bothering to look at her.

"So what the fuck am I supposed to do for 10 years?" She said and I shrugged my shoulders. "Do whatever you want. I'm only telling you so you won't be surprised when I leave this weekend." I said.

"I can't believe this shit," she said as she got up from the couch and walked away. I was going to go home but remembered I couldn't because I didn't drive here. I got up from the couch with Noah in my arms. I took him to his room and closed the door behind myself as I left and went into Nala's room where she was laying down crying and shit.

After closing the door I laid next to her and brushed a loose strand of her hair out of her face. "Crying isn't going to change anything." I said and she sniffled, cuddling into me. "I just don't want you to leave. What am I supposed to tell Noah?" She asks and I stared up at the ceiling as I thought about it.

"He's too young to understand this. When he gets older, you can tell him." I said after thinking about it for a few minutes. I felt her tears soaking my shirt and I instinctively wrapped my arms around her body and pulled her closer to me.

"I love you." She mumbled into my chest and I smiled to myself. "I love you too."

***

The next day

I was sitting at the island waiting on Domonique to finish cooking dinner. Assyria was beside me playing with her toys and I was twisting a strand of my hair out of boredom. "Go wash your hands." Domonique instructs Assyria as she puts the food down on the table and sits across from me.

"Is everything okay?" Dom asks me and I nodded, watching her put food on Assyria's plate. She looked different, but in a good way. Her skin had some sort of glow to it, and every now and then she would smile for no reason. She was happy, and it made me happy too because that's all I want for her.

"Was there something you needed to tell me?" She asks. I was going to tell her about me going away, but I decided not to. She's happy right now, and I don't want to be the one to fuck that up. Especially when this is all I've ever wanted for her.

"Nah. I just wanted to stop by to see Assyria." I said and she motioned for me to give her the plate in front of me. "Is everything okay with you?" I asked her, watching her fix my plate.

Domonique smiled big, showing the dimple in her left cheek. "Yeah, everything's great. I couldn't be happier." She said, giving my plate back.

"Yeah? That's good." I said, trying to play it coo like that didn't lowkey hurt. "Ma look." Assyria says, holding out a piece of paper for me to take and I looked it over, trying to see what exactly this was. "It's a shark." She said and I smiled, "You did a good job." I told her.

I folded the paper up and put it in my pocket before I picked up my fork and started eating.

Everything was coo until she brought up Jay, wanting to know why we don't like each other. Assyria had went to sleep and it was just us sitting up watching cartoons.

"It's a long story." I said, not wanting to get into all that. "Make it short," Dom says as she turned the TV off and adjusted the way she was sitting. "She switched up." I said.

"She said the same about you." Dom said. "And you believe her?" I ask and she shrugged her shoulders. "I didn't know you back then so I can't agree or disagree with it."

"We did know each other back then. You was flexing like you ain't want me." I said, making her laugh. "I wasn't flexing, I honestly didn't want your rude ass." She explained. "Yes you did. You had a thing for me all along." I teased her and she made an attempt to punch me playfully but I grabbed her wrist, causing her to fall on top of my chest.

Her gaze traveled down to my lips and I instinctively licked them. Her face flushed and she got off of me, mumbling an apology when it was my fault she fell on top of me in the first place.

"Imma see you later." I said to her as I got up and stretched. "Okay" she said, and I watched her walk away, wanting to tell her that I love her because I wouldn't see her fine ass for a while.