Chapter 32

Assyria Brooks

"You need to eat." I said to Dakota as she twisted her hair and continued to stare straight ahead like I wasn't talking to her.

"I'm not hungry." She mumbled, and I folded my arms over my chest as I eyed her. She had been acting different lately, and wouldn't tell me what was going on with her.

"I wasn't asking, I was telling you." I said and she sucked her teeth as she reached for the fork that rested beside her plate.

I went ahead and sat across from her, watching her intently as she demolished her food. "I'm not hungry" I mocked her, and she held her middle finger up making me chuckle.

"So what the fuck been bothering you lately? You barely talk to me anymore. I miss my best friend." I complained, and she looked at me for a second before averting her gaze away from me and towards her now vibrating phone.

Seeing the name 'Cassidy' on her screen, my eyebrows pushed up as I watched Dakota decline the call.

"Who's Cassidy?" I asked watching as she pushed her plate to the side and licked over her lips.

"Nobody" she responded, getting up from the island and putting her plate in the sink then washing her hands. "Then why is she calling you?" I asked, "Don't fucking lie to me" I added before she could even respond.

Dakota leaned against the counter with her arms folded over her chest as she stared at me. "She a friend." She responded.

"So first she was a nobody, now she a friend. You obviously fucking the bitch." I said, trying my hardest to stay calm but her careless demeanor was making it hard.

"Don't start assuming shit." She said, chuckling lowly. "Then tell me why she calling this late." I said, getting up and walking towards her so I could punch her dead in her shit if she lies.

"I don't fucking know why she's calling. I haven't talked to her in a while." She said, slightly raising her voice as she stared at me with irritation in her eyes.

Nodding my head, I leaned against the counter also. "So where do you go in the middle of the night?" I asked her.

"I drive around the city." She responded dryly, now biting at her nails like she was bored.

"You've been so isolated lately and it's scaring me because I'm starting to think you're reconsidering everything." I admitted, becoming emotional all of a sudden.

"I need to talk to you about something." She said, rubbing her forehead as she spoke. "About what?" I asked, sitting down at the island while she remained standing.

"Us" she responded, moving a chair and sitting down in front of me. I grew nervous as she put her head in her hands and sighed dramatically.

"Reality didn't hit me until I saw the pregnancy test. I got this feeling that I can't even describe, I ju know it wasn't good. So I left to try and clear my head but that shit didn't work." She said, finally looking up at me. "I been thinking bout some shit and--"

"You're leaving me, again." I cut her off and she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "I wasn't about to say that." She said.

"Then what are you saying?" I asked, on the verge of tears as she shrugged her shoulders. "I'm saying... Ion even know how to say it." She sighed.

"You can't do this to me, Dakota. I told you that I needed you, and you promised me you wouldn't leave. Now you're telling me you don't know what it is you want?" I cried as she stared down at her hands and pinched at her bottom lip.