Unexpected News

13th May, 2020

13th May, 2020

Shawn and I had just received some news. Extremely surprising and unexpected news; but amazing news nonetheless.

We were currently in Shawn's jeep, driving towards his parents house to tell them the news. We made sure to keep our secret until the weekend when we knew that both Karen and Manny wouldn't be at work and Aaliyah wouldn't be at school.

We parked in the driveway and made our way into Shawn's childhood home; one of my most treasured places because of all the memories I shared in that house.

"Hello?" I yelled through the home once Shawn and I had walked in. After knowing someone and their family for ten years; you begin to feel comfortable enough to yell in their home.

A soft hey came from the top of the stairs and Shawn's sister Aaliyah skipped down, giving us both a hug before walking into the living area where Manny and Karen were seated watching some kind of baking show that was on.

I remember when I used to come over to Shawn's house when we were younger before we got together, Karen and I made it traditional that I would come over an hour before Shawn got home from soccer practice and Aaliyah got home from hockey practice so that we could watch some sort of baking programme she loved. I got hooked on the cake making show and I still watch the re-runs of it today.

"Hey guys, how you doing?" Manny was the first to notice we had came into their company when Shawn took a seat on the little grey seat in the corner.

Somehow, he had managed to make the seat that was too big for me, look incredibly small.

"Good. Really good, actually." Shawn smiled; a little too happy for just a normal I'm good dad smile.

"Oh god, what have you done?" Karen sat up straight, looking at Shawn with a look of both confusion and curiosity. "I know that look, Shawn."

"Did you crash your car yet?" Aaliyah quizzed, a smile on her face that dropped as soon as her brother had told her that her question was incorrect.

"Well, I've got something to tell you." He smiled brightly, looking over at me briefly. "We have something to tell you."

"You're getting married, aren't you?" Manny guessed, a little smile creeping onto his cheery face. "I knew it was bound to happen. Let me see the ring. I gave him pointers on how to pick a good ring when he was young, y'know."

"Dad no." Shawn chuckled but I automatically felt bad when I saw his fathers cheery smile drop to the ground quicker than a tonne of bricks would. "We're not getting married; at least not yet."