Happy New Year 3

Y/N was out with her best friend Lauren at the mall, when she heard her phone ringing from her coat pocket

"Who is it?" Lauren had asked her once she pulled the device from her pocket and looked at the name and picture that appeared on the screen.

"It's Shawn."

The two girls gave each other confused looks at the information. It had been a few months since Shawn and Y/N had their talk in her bedroom the night she didn't turn up at Brian's.

As far as Y/N knew, Shawn and Bailey were still an item and more than happy together. And, as far as Shawn was concerned, Y/N was happily single and focusing on college and work.

"Answer it!"

Y/N's thumb hesitated over the Answer symbol.

She wanted to answer him but, at the same time, she was scared to. They hadn't spoke in so long and she honestly didn't know how to speak to him now and if she had to see him in person again, she probably wouldn't know how to act around him, either.

Lauren had enough of waiting on her to answer the call so, she did it for her. She slid her thumb across the screen to answer his call and pushed the phone up to Y/N's ear.

"Hello?" Her voice sounded confused as she answered.

Lauren smiled triumphantly, happy that she had somewhat helped them get back in touch with each other again.

"Hi, it's Shawn." Hearing his voice after so long was like a stab to the heart. It pained her to hear it but it also made her stomach flutter at the sound.

She definitely still loves him.

"Oh, hi Shawn. What's up?"

Unknown to Y/N, Shawn was sat in the small mall cafe (the same one she was across from) at a booth near the window with Brian and Matt across from him who had pressured him in to calling her when they saw her and Lauren across the mall.

Shawn was confused when he saw them sending each other worried looks, having an inner conversation with each other. But, he quickly caught on to what (more like who) they were staring at through the window.

He watched from afar with a broken heart as the girl he loved looked better than ever. But, then again, he hadn't spoke to her to know that she was hurting just as much as he was.

"Uhm," He stumbled over his words. He hadn't actually thought of what he would say to her, he just picked up the phone and called. "Things didn't work out with Bailey."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." Was all she could manage to say to him.

Lauren watched the expression of her friend closely, trying to determine what the conversation was about just through her expressions.

"It's okay." Shawn mumbled, shrugging his shoulders even though she couldn't see him. "It was actually me who broke things off with her. Heart wasn't in it, Y'know."