Leaving

"Wait," Her voice sounded broken and weak; the complete opposite to what it sounded like only an hour before

"Wait," Her voice sounded broken and weak; the complete opposite to what it sounded like only an hour before. "You're leaving again?"

"Yeah." Shawn's voice trailed off, observing the way she acted and the vibe she was giving off. "I have to; it's my job."

"I know. I know." She mumbled, running a hand through her hair.

She walked from the lounge door to sit on Shawn's lap, her legs slung across his as she cuddled up into his chest while his arms wrapped around her.

They weren't exactly dating but they were definitely more than just friends which is why it was hard for the two of them to leave each other.

"You know I love you, right?" He whispered while his left hand traced gentle shaped up and down her back and his right hand played with little strands of her hair. "And I'll always come back to you."

"I know." She replied shortly, fearing to say those three little words back.

Shawn's heart dropped when she didn't say it back and the ache in his heart deepened more at the thought of her not loving him back.

"Why won't you say it back?" He whispered again. "You've never said it back."

"Because I don't want to say it back, Shawn." She mumbled, playing with the strings on his hoodie. "You have to leave all the time and I'm scared to say it back incase you find someone else to love when you're gone and I'm left here just waiting for you."

"But that's not gonna happen, Y/N."

"No, I know it will. I wait for you every time you leave and all you do when you get back is tell me all about these girls who throw themselves and you every day and how much you enjoy the attention."

"But that's just part of my job, I can't control that. Sure, I love the attention and how much the fans support me but I'll never love it half as much as I love your support and attention. You should know that by now."

She stayed quiet, continuing to play with the strings on his hoodie. He sighed and dropped his hand from her hair to wrap her in a hug.

He hated the fact that she was that insecure that she couldn't realise how strongly his feelings for her actually were. And it hurt that she wouldn't say she loved him back when he was well aware that she loved him just as much as he loved her.

"Baby," He whispered and she hummed in response. "Please just say it this once. Just one time. Please?"

He could feel her tense under his touch at his request. He understood completely why she didn't want to say it back and why she was scared to say it at all; she didn't want her heart broken. Not again. And especially not by him. But he made a promise to himself that he would do anything and everything he could to make sure he would never hurt her.

"I'll say it if you promise me you'll wait for me, too."

"I promise you that I'll wait for you and that I'll do anything and everything I can to make you mine and never hurt you."

She hesitated before shifting in his hold until she was straddling his waist with her hands holding his soft cheeks. Slowly but surely, she leaned into him and kissed him.

"I love you, Shawn Mendes." She mumbled between their kiss and immediately after she stopped speaking, a smile broke out onto Shawn's face.

"I love you so much."