Dancer

June 26th, 2019

June 26th, 2019

Being Shawn Mendes' girlfriend and back-up dancer was hard to say the least. Constant media attention, hardly any privacy; but we somehow made it work. And, here we are three years later; still making it work.

"Y/N! You're supposed to be on stage in five!" Matt, Shawn's best friend, had ran into the dressing room frantically.

"No I'm not. I'm not due on stage for another ten minutes." I stared at him confused, curling the last strand of hair and I was ready.

"Yeah, five minutes ago." Matt was frantic. It confused me to see him like this; he was always so laid back and calm. A real breeze compared to the frantic crew members.

"Why're you acting so weird?" Matt brushed it off as feeling a little home sick, so I brushed it off too.

I guess everyone acts differently when dealing with feeling home sick.

I ran through the back-stage hallways until I reached the line of all my dancing friends and stood in my spot at the side of the stage.

My nerves began to build but they soon disappeared as soon as my feet hit the stage and the music began playing.

Shawn sent me a reassuring smile as I began the routine. He always did that; it was our own little tradition.

The song ended and so did the routine. The dancers began running off stage and before I could follow the line, my hand was grasped into an all too familiar one and I was gently pulled into the middle of the stage.

"I know everyone is probably really confused right now. But, believe it or not, this was planned and was 100% approved by Andrew and the tour manager." Shawn joked into his microphone and the whole stadium erupted into screams as a response to him talking.

"What's happening?" I whispered so only Shawn could hear and it wouldn't be picked up through his mic.

"You'll see." He smirked at me and winked before looking out into the crowd of people and lights.

It was such a beautiful sight and I was so thankful that I got to share this experience with my boyfriend who also was my best friend.

"So, as you all probably know, this is my girlfriend Y/N." Shawn took a hold of my hand, running his thumb across my knuckles as I waved shyly to the crowd. "How beautiful is she."

More screams sounded through the arena.

I wasn't used to all this attention. Usually it was all about Shawn and I just danced in the back; I preferred it that way. I wasn't one for handling a lot of attention well.

"She doesn't know what's happening either but everyone will find out in a minute." Shawn turned back and nodded to the band and they played the tune to one of Shawn and I's favorite songs; Tenerife Sea by Ed Sheehan.

"This song is dedicated to my best friend and girlfriend; Y/N. It has been one of our favorite songs since we first started dating and I want it to be our favorite song the day you walk down the isle and we vow to spend the rest of our lives together."

I stared at him confused at his speech. It wasn't until he dropped down to one knee in front of me that my mind clicked on to what was happening.

He struggled to pull the guitar strap off his shoulders as he kneeled and I giggled, helping him remove the instrument from his body and he mouthed Thanks baby when he placed the guitar on the stage beside him.

The band kept playing the tune as he spoke into the mic and somehow the fans in the crowd had managed to become unfamiliarly silent.

"I've loved you will all my heart for almost three years now and I want to keep doing so for the rest of our lives." He smiled up at me and I noticed the water building in his eyes as he took my hands in his. I couldn't help but feel my eyes begin to water, too, as he spoke such beautiful words to me. "Will you marry me?"

The crowd began to squeal at the question and the scene in front of them.

"No." Again, the crowd went silent and Shawn's face dropped. "I'm kidding! Of course I want to marry you!"

And that was all it took for Shawn to slip an engagement ring from his back pocket into my finger and pull me into a comfortably bone crushing hug, his face nuzzled into my neck as he peppered kisses along the skin.

"I love you so much, baby." He whispered. "I can't wait to be yours forever."