CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

Liam looked at the road ahead before looking at Ariana who had fallen asleep on the passenger seat. He felt sorry for making her come with him to Wolverhampton because clearly, she preferred spending her weekend in the company of someone nicer, but at least, she was being a trooper and had decided to come with him on such a momentous occasion.

His sister Nicola was finally getting her baby. After years of trying to get pregnant and lots of treatments and medications, she and her husband Gary had decided to adopt. The whole process had taken almost a year, but finally on Wednesday she had called him at lunch time to give him the good news.

“Li… We’re getting our baby!! WE’RE GETTING OUR BABY!!” She had shouted excitedly over the phone before moving on to explain to him that on Saturday morning, she and Gary had to be at the adoption agency where they were going to pick up baby Sarah. A six month old baby that had been given up for adoption after her mother had left her abandoned in a hospital in a town nearby.

I’m going to be an uncle... He thought happily, knowing that if he could drive any faster, he would. He really wanted to share his sister and brother in law’s excitement over the news and of course, meet Sarah when she was brought home in the morning.

Ariana had been excited about the news as well, but then, all the excitement had been erased from her face when he mentioned that he wanted her to come to Wolverhampton with him. She had argued about how his mother would absolutely hate having her there, but all he needed to do was beg a little and she was on board. It would be nice for her to meet the rest of his family and for them to know her.

He looked at her again as she peacefully slept after a really hard day at work and couldn’t help to remember the last couple of months with her.

Liam had loved how much effort she had put on his birthday party. It had honestly been one of the best birthday celebrations he’d had in years and it was nice to see her getting along with his friends and how they had all welcomed her into the group as if she had always been a part of it.

Now, she would hang out with them more often, whenever she wasn’t too busy with school or work. She would join him and Harry for a run in the mornings or get together with the lad’s girlfriends and have girl’s night out from time to time.

He was amazed at how their relationship had grown over the last couple of months. They rarely ever argued. Except for that one time almost a month earlier where she had become extremely cranky. They would argue about the tiniest thing, she would get emotional over everything and she could complain about having constant headaches, especially whenever he tried to have sex with her and that would be her go to excuse. Whenever he complained about it, her anger exploded and ended up ignoring him for at least a whole day.

One day Ariana had come home acting weird. She had barely acknowledged him and wouldn’t stay in the same room with him for more than five minutes. When he asked her what was going on, she had sat on the bed looking at him and said “I think I’m pregnant”

He had to sit down next to her because he was sure his legs were going to give in, but when he managed to process what she had said to him, she explained to him how her period was late and that she had gone to the doctor who had ordered a few blood tests where she would check if she was pregnant and that everything was ok if in fact she was.

She didn’t seem thrilled at the thought, she was more like paralyzed with fear and stayed like that until the two of them sat at that doctor’s office and were told that she was definitely not pregnant. The doctor had moved on to order more tests to rule out the cause of the delay in her period and it wasn’t until the two of them had left that office that they were able to talk properly about the matter.