CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

Liam sat on the black SUV that was transporting him back from the hospital to the hotel. Ariana was by his side holding on to his hand. The pain in his lower abdomen had reduced to a dull pain thanks to the medication, so that didn’t worry him that much.

What concerned him for real was the fact that he had asked Ariana to marry him and she hadn’t given him an answer. Granted, she thought he was hallucinating from the anesthesia and she laughed his proposal away, urging him to sleep and get some rest as the medication was driving him loopy.

He had tried to explain that he was 100% serious about his proposal, but he couldn’t really utter a couple of words without feeling tired and sleepy. So, he did as he was told and got a good sleep. He was so drugged he was surprised he even remembered what he had asked her, but when he had woken up the next day, Ariana was by his side again, he didn’t know what to make of her smile, buy his only conclusion was that she had definitely not taken him seriously.  He smiled at her and when he tried to ask her again, they had been interrupted by Harry and Zayn who had come to visit him.

Louis and Niall came to visit him after, followed by some of the security guards, their stylists, their managers, and almost everybody involved in their tour, leaving very little time for him and Ariana to have a real conversation about marriage; so now, as he walked into the hotel, he was hoping that against all odds, he could finally propose.

If people stop visiting me, that is…

“How are you feeling?” Asked Ariana

“Better… Just tired…” He replied as the two of them got in the elevator

“Well, now we’re going to get some rest…” She said rubbing his back

“I hope so…” He smiled

They walked into the room and Ariana plopped down on the bed yawning.

“Did you even sleep last night?” Asked Liam

“No hun… Not much anyway… Just snoozed from time to time on that chair next to your bed” She explained and yawned again

“Well, before you get some sleep… There’s something…” He said walking slowly over to the closet, where the safe deposit box was hidden

“What?” Asked Ariana

He took the black box containing the ring and put it in the pocket of his sweatpants before heading back to Ariana. He hated moving so slow, but every single movement made is abdomen hurt. It was as if something inside of him tugged hard at his intestine with every step he took.

“Babe… Do you remember our conversation from last night?” He asked standing before her

“Which one?” She asked, widening her eyes the instant she remembered which conversation he was talking about “You were really groggy last night” She giggled

“I may have been groggy… But I was being serious…” Said Liam smiling at her

Her smile evaporated from her face and she seemed to freeze in front of him as he slowly and painfully kneeled before her.

“Holy… Fuck… This hurts!” He said as he supported himself on the edge of the mattress as he kneeled down

“Wh… What are you… Doing?” She stammered

“Ariana…” He said taking a deep breath as he took the black velvet box from the pocked of his sweatpants and opened it before her

“Oh God…”

“Will you marry me?” He asked

He could see every reaction in her body and he wasn’t really sure of what she was going to say, but slowly, her eyes filled with tears as she looked at him straight in the eyes. Her eyes crinkled a little at the sides as her lips formed a smile and she nodded.