1 - Girl

"I... have to tell you guys something."

Michelle's hands were shaking as she leaned closer to her parents. Her mom nodded.

"Okay."

She took a deep breath.

"I'm not a... girl."

The silence in the house was nearly deafening as her parents stared at her with unreadable expressions.

Mike cleared his throat.

"Are you, uh sure?"

Michelle nodded slowly, fear coursing through her veins.

"I'm sure. I've known it for a while..."

Nel cracked a tiny smile.

"I was waiting for you to tell us," she laughed lightly. Her daughter's eyes widened.

"You mean, you knew?"

Mike rubbed his wife's thigh soothingly.

"Of course baby, you're our child." She said.

"And we will love you just the same, no matter what gender you identify as." Mike added with a toothy grin.

Michelle gasped, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"You're serious!?" She whispered, playing with her hands.

"We most definitely are."

"Oh my god thank you!" Michelle rambled, jumping up to embrace her parents.

"Sit down. Let's talk about this." Her mom patted the spot in between Mike and herself and Michelle sat there, nodding.

"So you're a boy," Mike said, a statement rather than a question.

"I am," Michelle answered anyway.

"Do you want to change your pronouns? We can start calling you by masculine pronouns instead of feminine ones?" Nel wondered aloud.

Michelle's eyes lit up and she nodded quickly. "Yes! I would love that!"

"We can do that, son," Mike beamed, rubbing Michelle's back.

The young boy grinned. "Can I change my name too?"

Both of his parents nodded and he squirmed in obvious delight.

"Have you already thought of one?"

Michelle nodded instantly.

"Mitchell." He smiled. "But I would go by Mitch."

His parents nodded. "Mitch," his mom mumbled, testing out the name. "I like it."

"It suits you," Mike said.

Mitch grinned, looking between his parents. "I was so worried. I didn't know how you would react."

They both hugged him and Nel pressed a kiss to his hair.

"I'm glad you told us. Then we can make it all official, instead of you just hiding it."

"Thank you. I love you guys." Mitch smiled, heart swelling with thankfulness and admiration for his parents.

"We love you too sweetheart."

~

New short story? I don't know what I'm doing lol (I should be working on all the other stories on the go instead oops)