Chapter 20

Gracie POV
Aaron ran into the room and yelled to me "Gracie we have to go right now!!!"

"What's wrong?" I asked getting worried.

"I'll explain on the way, all the guys are meeting us there." He said running out the door.

I ran after him and when we were in the car, he explained that Courtney got into a surfing accident and Matt took her to the hospital.

"How bad is it?" I asked him starting to cry.

"We don't know yet but it's going to be ok," he said trying to comfort me " I promise.

I don't know Aaron that we'll but he was really nice and the whole way, he tries to make me feel better but it was just too much, and I kept crying.

Courtney POV
I woke up in a white room with lots of wires on the wall and a 20 year old tv hung on the wall across from me. My head was pounding and I had tubes up my nose.

I heard someone in the hall talking. And saw Matt in the hall way with a nurse.

"We're trying our best to keep her but we don't know what's going to happen next. I'm so sorry." And the nurse walked away.

Matt stayed in the hallway for a minute or so crying until he heard me.

"Matt?" I said faintly.

"Courtney!!" He said, looking a little relieved. "Thank god you're awake! Do you feel ok?"

"Yeah I think so" I told him "but my head really hurts." I added.

"Do you want some water?" He asked me, handing me a paper cup with calf water.

Then all the memories came flowing in.

The wave.

Not coming up.

Water filling my lungs.

Now I know why I'm here.

I must've been spacing out for a while because Matt shook me to wake up.

"Are you ok?" He asked me, whipping the tears from my cheeks.

"Yeah" I said "just thinking. Thank you for saving me."

He looked at me, almost confused. "I never should've let you go on that wave," he told me, "It's all my fault." And put his head in his hands.

Gracie POV
Me and Aaron ran into the hospital and to the front desk.

"What room is Courtney smith in? I'm her sister." I told her.

She could tell I was worried, "room 318" she said with a sympathetic smile. "It's just down the hall and to your right."

I thanked her and ran down the hall, looking for room 318.

When I got there, I saw Matt with his head in his hands and heard Courtney speaking really softy.

"Matt don't ever say that," she said. "You came out ok because you rode that wave right..... I should've thought before I did what I did."

I lightly knocked on the door and walked in. Matt looked up and told us he would let me and Courtney have some time alone and that he would be in the waiting room.

"Courtney are you ok?" I asked her.

What she said really surprised me. "I'm fine but I'm really worried about Matt."

"Why?" I'm so confused rn.

"Because he blaming it on himself and it's not his fault." She said.

I was about to say something but then a nurse walked in.

"Oh!! You're up!!" Is it ok if I go get your friends from the waiting room?" She asked "they keep asking about you."

"That's fine" she said.

Cam POV
The nurse came back and told us that Courtney woke up and we could all go see her now.

"Make sure you don't crowd her," she said "she just woke up and has a head injury."

She walked us to the room and told us if we needed anything just to talk to the front desk.

I can tell that matts really upset about what happened so I decide that I'm going to go talk to him about it.

"Matt" I say, walking over to him. "You ok man?" I ask him.

"No I'm not. It's all my fault. I shouldn't have let her go on that wave. It should be me in that hospital bed right now." He's crying and he doesn't cry often so I can tell he's really upset about this.

"She's going to be ok man" I promise him and then we walk to her room.

Everyone's talking to her and trying to make her laugh.

Then she sees Matt and me come in.

"Hi" she said smiling a little.

"Can I talk to Courtney alone really quick?" He asked us.

We all get up and walk back to the waiting room.