chapter 2

Two weeks had floated by.

Chrisy had already found a way to give of herself. She had volunteered for the Mentorship Program to tutor individual students in lower grades if the need arrised. Her years of drifting around aimlessly was over.

She had managed to stay clear of the mysterious new guy until now, but her luck was about to run out.

Unaware, she stood by the grey lockers in the wide hallway exchanging gossip with her best friend. Suddenly, Kerry stopped speaking. She rolled her large dark brown eyes at Chrisy.

"Don't look now, but Mr. Handsome is on his way over." She said.

"What?"

Chrisys eyes rounded and her cheeks turned the brightest shade of pink.
She immediately turned around and was face to face with him.

"Hi, I'm Josh..." he began. His Indian accent weak but present.

" This is embarrassing..." he continued, "...I've been here two weeks already and I still don't know my way around. I'm looking for the guidance councillor's office, can you help me out?"

His voice had that cool collected depth that oozed sex appeal as it escaped his pouted lips.Chrisy froze like a block of ice and stared at his perfectly chiseled chest, or at least what she expected it to look like under his black tee. She was unable to speak.

"I...augh...augh..."

Kerry came to her rescue.

" Hi...you'll have to excuse my friend, she has a speech ...thing. Its just around the corner. Second door on your right."

"Thanks a mil. I'll see you guys around then?"

"Its Kerry...and yeah,we'll see yah."

Kerry turned to Chrisy in disbelief.

"Seriously? I mean its totally okay to zone out when he's no around...but he was right there,"

" I know, the words wouldn't come....I could just die" then she glared at her friend. "...A speech thing? Really?"

" Well you left me no choice...what was all that? Didn't you swear on your mother's grave you weren't into him?"

"As if!" she scoffed. Much too exagerated to mean it.

She defended Kerry's accusation partially with the purpose of convincing herself. She never had that reaction towards anybody before. Having her breath caught, and her words stuck half way down her throat was a whole new experience for her. Chrisy always had a reply to everything and every situation, except just now, and she didn't understand it.

" I just...he just...can we not talk about this anymore please?" Embarrassment rolled off of her like beads of sweat.

" OK...dont grow a pimple over it.." Kerry gave in, changing the subject.

She lead the way to the car with idle banter and came to a stop next to her 'black on black' Honda.

"Sharky's?" she asked with a slight grin.

" Oh def... " went the reply and they both got in and drove away, to their usual Friday evening hang.
--------------

Saturday morning Chrisy paced her fully carpeted room floor, her ears all but drinking the juicy dialogue that Kerry spilled and she, replying with her own.

They had made it almost routine.

Long talks on Saturday mornings and pool side visits on Sundays. That was their special time. It was law.