Chapter 34: Columbus Day

Jack's POV:

Today is Columbus Day, and I have to go to school, because Columbus discovered America for nothing. Well, technically, he didn't. Vikings did, but they didn't colonize it. They just passed through. Columbus claimed this territory his.

As always, I thought this day was gonna be boring and totally unsurprising. I was wrong. When I got to the door of my math class, someone was already there, talking. I didn't have to see who it was to know... It was Elsa. She was talking to the teacher about something, I didn't really know what...

When I went inside, they stopped talking and Elsa and I had an eye contact that felt like forever. Just then broke it by looking down. They continued talking, then Mr. Johnson pointed to the back of the class and she sat down where she used to sit.

"Mr. Frost! Why so early?" The teacher asked.
"Um... because I don't wanna be late?" I answered.
"What a nice initiative! Also, we have a new student! Well, not new new, she just transferred class! Her name's..."
"Elsa. Yeah, I know... We know each other."
"Well, then, good! She'll feel right at home!"

I sat down to my usual place, which is the last seat... behind Elsa. There was still a few minutes left till the beginning of class, so this was gonna be very awkward.

"Why did you transfer back?" I asked, breaking the silence.
"After my mom heard about my break up with Hans, she said that she'd rather have me in the same class as you than with him, so... yeah..." She answered.
"Wow. I don't know if I should be offended or grateful for that..."
"*giggle* Yeah... I think it's a bit of both!" I chuckled.

"It sucks for you," she said after a while.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Well, the fact that you got detention for a month and not Hans."
"Oh, right! That! *sigh* Yeah... That really does suck for me! It's totally unfair! I just... He was gonna say that I loved you and I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't let everyone at school know that I had feelings for you... And now I realize I sound stupid saying that to you!"

"N-No! You're not stupid! Actually, I wanted to thank you for punching him. He really deserved it!" She said.
"You're welcome, my Queen!" I replied.
"*giggle* That nickname... *sigh* What did you do with your gift card?"
"*laugh* I gave it to my sister!" We laughed for a while.
"Really?! Oh wow! That's hilarious!"
"I just figured she could use it more than me so..."
"But you love reading!"
"Y-Yeah... *whispers to himself* I should've thought of that..."

She laughed. I love it when she laughs! It's a good change from all her crying. At that moment, I just wanted to kiss her, but if she doesn't love me back, it really wouldn't amount to anything. I can't force her to love me...

Getting friend zoned doesn't feel good, but it's better than her dating some asshole.

Elsa's POV:

Alright, things are getting okay with Jack and me. I mean, we're laughing and having fun... I think... I should have told him how I felt at that moment, but the bell cut me off. We both looked at the speaker and then I turned to face the front of the class.

People started to walk in and sitting down. Then Hiccup walked in and stopped as soon as he saw me. He frowned and tilted his hand in confusion. He then shook his head and walked up to his place, which is right next to Jack. Before class began, he asked me what I was doing back and I explained to him what I told Jack.

Then class began and two classes went by, then we had lunch. I usually at with Hans and his friends, but now... I don't know where to sit. I took out my lunch box and kind of looked around the cafeteria. Then, I saw a hand waving at me, it was Hiccup's. I smiled and went to him.

I had my old table back. And my old friends, too. The whole hour, we told jokes and laughed and talked shit about Hans. It was great! Then, we had English class with Mrs. White, which was super awesome! At the end, she told me she was happy to see me in this class with Jack again. I said I was, too.

At the end of school, when I got out, I saw Anna and my mom waiting for me. I smiled, ran to my sister and hugged her.

"Hey! What are you doing here?!" I asked.
"Well, Mom wanted to surprise you, so I thought I'd come along!" She answered with a smile on her face.
"That's awesome! I'm so happy right now!"

"I wanted to ask you... What are you dressing up for Halloween? It's in 29 days, you know... Gotta start preparing!" She asked as we were getting in the car.
"Well, I'm gonna go with your idea..." I answered.
"Really?! You're gonna dress up as Marinette?"
"Yeah! Dressing up as her is a great idea! I always wanted to be a superhero anyway."

We got to out house and the rest few hours past pretty fast. Anna came to my room to ask me about the class transfer.

"So... Are you with Jack again?" She asked.
"Well, we're in the same class, yeah... I'm right in front of him, like before." I answered.
"Okay, are you guys friends again?"
"Yeah... I guess so. We talked about Hans at lunch... Bad things about Hans. It was fun!"
"But now you know that he loves you so... Isn't it awkward?"
"Actually, it's not! We mostly just talk and laugh. Kinda like before! It's really cool!"

"But aren't you gonna tell him you love him, too?" She asked.
"No... Not right now... I don't think it's a good idea now... I mean, I broke up with Hans a few days ago. I don't wanna rush things." I answered truthfully.
"You better tell him at one point, because then he'll slip away and you'll regret it!"
"Yeah, I know! I'm planning on doing it, just... not now..."

Even though I know he likes me and that he's not mad at me... I'm scared to tell him. Because of what Hans did to me, I'm scared that he'd do something like that to me, too... He would never, but I don't want to have my heart broken again...

I really hope Jack is the kind of guy I think he is... The kind of guy who would never cheat on a girl... The kind of guy who would love you unconditionally... The best kind of guy...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just realized I make a lot of song reference in my books. It's totally by accident, too! Anyway, there the new chapter. You could guess what the next chapter is gonna be about, but maybe you didn't, and that's totally fine! I have two exams this week, maybe three... not sure... so I might not post too much, but I'll try. Have a good one, fellow readers!

-Maya's Stories 🐝