Chapter 40: Going away

Jack's POV:

About a month after the college talk between Elsa and me, I got a letter saying I was accepted at the engineering school I wanted to go. It was a bittersweet moment.

I was happy to know I could actually go, but I was sad because I had to move and that means I won't hang out with Elsa so much anymore. I told my mom I could just apply to another college closer to here, but she slapped the back of my head and said that if I changed school, she'd kill me. Not literally, of course, but she did scare me!

When I finished reading it, I opened my phone and autodialled Elsa's number, but quickly ended the call. How is she gonna react? I mean, I'm sure she's gonna be happy for me, but I'm gonna have to move away...

I know she said that were gonna be fine and everything, that well just do the long distance thing, but I don't want to! I want to keep seeing her. And it's a 4 hour drive! You lose half a day just to do the "to and from"! It really sucks!

The next day at school, I didn't see Elsa until our first class together, which was the second period. We had History. We didn't talk to much, because class started and, well, we weren't allowed to. When the class ended, though, she turned back to face me.

"All right. What's wrong?" She asked me.
"What do you mean? Nothing!" I answered trying to reassure her.
"Jack, we've been dating for about four months now. I know when you're feeling down. And that's right now!"
"Down? *nervous chuckle* I-I'm not feeling down, Elsa! I'm in top shape!"
"I also know when you're lying. You can't fool me, Jackson Overland Frost!" Oh god... She used my full name. This is getting too real! "Now, tell me what it is!"
"U-Um... O-Okay, fine. But... can we talk about at our spot at lunch?" She frowned.
"Okay, but don't expect to run away! I will find you, and you will tell me!"

We kissed and left the class room.

At lunch, we ate at our table and then, went to our spot.

"All right. Tell me now!" She said, very seriously.
"Well, yesterday, I got a letter from that engineering college..." I said.
"*gasp* Really? What did it say?!"
"Um... I got accepted..."

"Oh my god! Jack! That's amazing! How are you not happy about this?!" She screamed.
"Well... Elsa... I'm gonna have to move... I don't want to. I want to stay here! With you!" I replied.
"Are you crazy?! This is your chance to become the smartest engineer I know you are and you're gonna let that pass by just to stay with me?! This is probably the stupidest idea you've ever had!"
"But I'm doing it for you!"

"Ugh! Stop being so caring and do something for yourself for once!" She said, almost desperately.
"But it's a 4 hour drive from here to there!" I said.
"Actually, it would only be a 1 1/2 hour drive..."
"What?"

Elsa's POV:

"Oh! Did I forgot to mention that I am also gonna be moving away to another college campus only 90 minutes away from yours to study medicine?" I asked.
"What?! Yes you did! What?! When did you learn?!" He screamed.
"About three days ago."
"And you didn't tell me before?!"
"I wanted to surprise you..."
"You surprised me all right!" He picked me up and spun me around.

"Elsa! That's great news! This solves everything!" He said.
"*chuckle* I know! Not so long-distance after all, hum?" I asked.
"Not at all! We're gonna be able to meet so much more! Sometimes I'll come see you, other times you'll come see me! It's perfect!"

I laughed and so did he. We kissed one last time before hugging each other. Then the bell rang and we went back to class.

The day quickly ended and we went back to our homes. My mom still wasn't home, but my sister was.

"So... Did you tell him?" She asked me.
"Yeah, I did." I answered softly.
"And?"
"And nothing! Nothing happened..."
"Nothing happened?! You're kidding, right?!"
"Well, he was happy... Very happy, actually..."

"You know, I wish I had an amazing relationship like you and Jack..." She said, dreamingly.
"Don't you have Kristoff?" I asked.
"Well, yeah, but Mom and Dad don't know about him! It's not like I can go see him whenever I want to like you do! I'd have to drive 2 hours to go see him and... I am not the one driving, so..."
"*chuckle* Yeah, yeah. Whatever!"

Anna's right. I am lucky to have such a good relationship with Jack. He lives very close to me and, well, after high school, we'll still be kinda close. Closer than if I had stayed here, at least! We see each other often and... whenever we do, we just watch movies and eat... We're the strangest couple ever!

We barely show our affection to one another. I think it's because we don't need to see our love for each other, we already know we do, and that's what so great with us. That's why our relationship is so strong. And also because Jack keeps because so non-selfish.

When I look back at last year, I can't believe I'm actually dating him! When I first saw him, I thought he looked stupid and dirty. Literally! He came into the class on the first day with mud stained jeans and this old hat. And now I'm dating this nice and smart and pretty handsome civilized boy! He really grew...

My mom finally came home and I could finally tell her all about Jack's reaction. She was happy too. Mostly happy because I was happy that he was happy... A lot of happiness going on right now, but it's better than unhappiness! I'm glad my mom finally likes Jack.

She apologized for being so hard to Jack and to me. It really makes me glad. It's like everything is perfect right now.

Finally, a peaceful life with the one that I love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey! Terribly sorry for this long wait (12 days!!!!). I had a lot of exams and tomorrow I have a Math exam I totally neglected just to write this chapter. It way be more boring than the other chapters, because my imagination was kinda low because of school. Next week I have an English oral presentation and the week after, a French one, so sorry in advance if the wait is gonna be long...

Have a nice whatever!!!

-Maya's Stories 🐝