Sweet nothings

Melina was snuggled up to Tom, lying in his arm, her fingers tracing lacy circles on his chest. She couldn't remember the last time she felt this happy and content. "Hmm that was amazing".
"Well I have to agree on that darling". He sighed softly and brushed a strain of hair behind her ear, sending little sparks through her.
He looked at her with a small smile. "But I am actually quite happy to hear you say that, to be honest, I was pretty nervous".
"Nervous ? You ? I didn't think you were familiar with that concept. But why nervous ?" She propped herself up on an elbow to look at his face.
He was biting his lip, looking a bit sheepish. "Well you know, just all of it. All this tension between us, afraid not to live up to your expectations, and it has kind of been a while".
"How long ?" She couldn't help but ask, suddenly feeling butterflies erupt in her stomach, as she looked at him.
He actually blushed and his voice was almost a whisper. "A year and a half give or take, you probably remember the exact date better than me".
"Seriously ? Not even once since then ? I don't believe you haven't had any offers". She was surpriced. He didn't seem like a man who would choose abstinence.
"Well I guess there have been possibilities, but just didn't feel right. I guess I was waiting for someone to give me a second chance". He smiled sweetly and gently stroked her cheek.
She looked at him, her mouth slighty open in surprise. "Seriously ? After one day, and having sex one time. Okay it was pretty awesome sex, but stil ?"
"I might just have believed it was meant to end differently. So I braced myself with patience until I got a chance to do something about it and it didn't take me long to realise that I had been right". He answered honestly.
Melina felt it like her heart was swelling until it almost burst and she didn't know what to say, so she kissed him softly instead.
Then she sighed. "But actually you are not alone. I have been on a couples of dates, but it just wasn't me, there was one who got a goodnight kiss and he would have liked more, but it just felt wrong".
"It might have been destiny trying to tell you that you made a mistake". He said with a cheeky smile and winked at her.
She looked at him. "How on earth did you keep up hope that a possibility would come ? Almost a year and a half is a damn long time".
"I can't say I didn't doubt myself a couple of times, but then I asked for a sign and I always got one. Everytime I was about to give up, you somehow was right there and I was reminded what I was holding out for". He was gazing into her eyes.
She kisses him lovingly. "I am really happy that you were so patient and maybe just a bit stubborn".
"Me to, it was all worth it. I love you so much Melina". His voice was so soft and loving and his eyes got suspiciously shiny.
She bit her lip, she would wish she had been less head strong, they could have had all this time together, but now she was his. "I love you too".
He pulled her into him, just holding her, stroking her hair and back in soft strokes and she felt his cheeks getting a bit wet. She just knew that they were meant to be, they always had been.
After a hvile she snuggled into his side, her head on his shoulder and he whispered sweet nothings in her ear till she fell asleep.

,