xliv. side-tracked

Chapters Song:

High Hopes by The Vamps

- - - - - -

It's scary to think that everything can change in such a quick second. Just a few months ago, I was completely ready to commit suicide. I was determined, and had given away my favorite necklace. The necklace that my grandparents gave me.

A silver airplane. Signifying 'the Rouge'. The rouge means a dishonest or unprincipled man. That was my grandfather, he would compliment and insult you all at the same time. And yet, no one complained.

In another second, my mother was kicking me out the door. Telling me to never return. That I brought disgrace for loving a man, not a woman.

Then in three seconds, Harry Styles walked into my life. He taught me how to truly love someone, and to forgive. He taught me to be kind and care for others. Walk in their shoes before judging them.

He then forgave every single sin I did to him. Forgave and kissed every single flaw on my skin. Kissed, and kissed every single slice on my wrist.

Then, in a second everything went wrong.

He lost his memory.

- - -

"Hey, did you re-stock the inventory?" Asked Stan for the fifth time. I rolled my eyes before turning to face him.

"Yes, Lucas. I did, get off my sack, Stan. This is the fifth time you've asked me, and it's getting on my nerves."

"I have to ask, Louis. It's part of my job." He retorted. I shrugged.

"Whatever." I mumbled, and went off to another aisle.

"Louis, it's part of my job." Said Stan. I nodded, and ignored him. I went to the other aisle, and pretended to search for something.

"Excuse me." Said someone. I turned and saw Harry. My heart skipped a beat. I gasped and covered my mouth.

He smiled. "Please don't scream, I'm trying to keep under-cover." I nodded.

Did he really not remember me? "What did you need, sir?" I asked, my heart clenching.

"I'm looking for this toy." He held up a piece of newspaper. I smiled, a princess house, most likely for Lux.

"Of course." I said, gesturing him to follow me. He smiled, and followed me. I bit my lip and looked down. Did he really forget? Had Modest! really been so cruel.

"For your daughter?" I asked, even if I already knew the answer. He chuckled, and I turned a corner.

"No, I'm to young." He said, and I stopped my tracks. Young. The old Harry would've said 'No, but I'm hoping I will soon.'

The Harry I used to know was in love with the idea of having children. A topic we used to argue about all the time.

But that Harry was gone now. And this new Harry was here.

"Your never to young." I said, rolling on my tippy-toes to grab the toy. He chuckled.

"You know, it says 'High Surface, ask for assistance.' But it'd help if the assistance was taller than me." He joked. I glared at him.

"Oh fuck off, twat." I laughed. He smiled, and shrugged.

"Someone didn't get their raise."

"Neither did you, Mr.Styles." I said, gesturing towards his attire. He had ripped black jeans, and a home-made muscle tee.

"Its called a costume, to distract people." He explained, the same crooked smile on his lips.

This was wrong.

"Oh yes, I'm sure the hobo look is so fuckin distracting. I was even tempted to give you some money to pay for this. I mean, you can pay for it right?" I teased. He laughed.

"Someone isn't working on being employee of the month." He said, taking the toy from you. I laughed, shaking my head.

"That'd be the day. I'm to, and I quote: 'Sassy and sleeps on the display beds', how ridiculous is that?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes. He smiled.

Louis, stop.

"I'd probably agree, but I don't know you." He smiled, and I felt my heart crack. There it was. The reminder that I really didn't. A week turned an entire year into strangers.

"Right." I said, and gestured towards the registers. "Can I check you out?"

His smiled minimized a bit. "Yeah, sure." He followed me to my register, and I sighed. I put in my pin, and scanned the toy.

"Hey, I um, look." Said Harry, taking out his wallet. "Just because I don't know you, doesn't mean I don't want to. Because, I do."

I looked up at him. "Harry, I-"

"-I think I need someone like you in my life. I swear, I saw you and it felt like I knew you all my life." He smiled. "I know it's crazy but-"

"Harry." I said, smiling a bit. "I'm sorry, but I think your getting side-tracked."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Huh?"

"Your career is at it's peak, Harry. I am the least of your worries." I said, mirroring what Modest! told me. Louis, he is at the peak of his career. You should be the least of his worries.

"I don't understand." He said. I smiled and handed him his bag.

"Thank you for shopping at Toys-R-Us."

His eyes looked down, and he left slowly. I watched as he did. I closed my eyes, and slid down to the ground. I gasped my sobs, and bit my lip.

HarryHarryHarryHarryHarry!. He was there. And he left again.