Chapter 35

Meryl woke up the next morning to Brady fussing, and it didn't take long for Mags to join in. Meryl quickly got up and went over to the bassinets; talking softly to the babies. "Mommy is here. Daddy is still asleep so let's not wake him up; it's his birthday after all. You just get Mommy right now."

"Daddy is awake." Don croaked sleepily as he started to wake up and got up walking over next to his wife. "They get Mommy and Daddy this morning; just like always."

Meryl picked up Mags as he picked up Brady and she tenderly kissed his lips. "Happy Birthday, my Don Man."

"You certainly made sure it was just after midnight last night." Don winked as he kissed her back; referring to their love making at midnight. "Thank you, sweetheart. How long have they been awake?"

Meryl went to turn on the bedroom light and they went over to the bed. "They just woke up."

"Do you want to nurse them?" Don asked. "They're not acting very hungry."

Meryl shook her head as Don reached for the diapers and wipes. "Not yet; let's change them then I can nurse. You can hop in the shower while I nurse if you want."

"No way." Don said. "I want to be with you when you nurse; maybe we can get them back to sleep and we could always shower together."

Meryl winked at him. "That is a wonderful idea; and it is your birthday after all."

"I always shower with my girl on my birthday." Don said as they continued to change the babies. "One of my favorite traditions."

Meryl and Don let the babies stretch out and move around on the bed a little bit when Meryl took Don's hand. "I thought that as soon as we were ready then I would drop you off at the hospital."

"Where are you going?" Don's eyes narrowed. "I don't like you alone this city."

Meryl ran her fingers through his hair. "Baby, Harry and Peggy are in jail; I'll be fine. I wanted to get you a birthday breakfast surprise. I'll take the babies with me to get it then bring it up to the hospital."

"We will go get it together." Don said. "If you want to drive, then you'll drive; but I'm not letting you 3 loose in this crazy city."

Meryl stroked his cheek. "I wanted it to be a surprise."

"It will be." Don smiled. "Well, until we drive up to the restaurant."

Meryl could tell the babies were getting fussy. "Would you mind dressing Molly girl while I feed Brady Boo? Then switch?"

"Sure." Don winked as he picked up Mags. "There's Daddy's MaggieMoo; we're going to find a cute outfit to put you in."

Meryl got Brady situated. "The hospital was kind of chilly yesterday; so maybe put her in something with layers."

"Of course." Don said. "Should we bathe them today?"

Meryl nodded. "Depending on what time we get back then we can do it tonight; or in the morning before we head to the hospital."

"Do you think it's dangerous having them exposed to so many illnesses?" Don asked concerned. "We're getting into flu season."

Meryl ran her fingers over Brady's little face. "That's one of the many reasons I nurse. We'll just make sure we are continually washing our hands; and ask anyone that holds them to do the same. They'll be okay."

"Okay." Don nodded as he continued to dress Mags. "I just don't want us being up there so much to make them sick or anything."

Meryl gave him a tender smile. "Let's just play today by ear, sweetheart."