Chapter 47

A few days later Meryl woke up to the babies crying; she immediately looked at her husband and noticed he was sound asleep. Though his eyebrows were furrowed. She placed a quick kiss on his cheek and smiled that his facial features softened; and she quickly got up to get the babies so they wouldn't wake him. His breakdown two days before reminded her that he was still healing from brain trauma and how everything seemed to pile on top of him; she had been waiting for it but still hated that it happened to him. She was glad that the day before was relaxing and they spent the day resting and eating and Christmas shopping and playing with the babies. It was just what he needed; and even though they would be going to the hospital that day she hoped today could be much the same. She threw on a sweatshirt of her husband's before picking up the babies. "You two are sure up early this morning. Did your midnight snack not tie you over? Come on, let's go out here so we don't wake up Daddy. I know we like him with us when you're eating but he needs his rest; you get to have some Mommy time this morning." Meryl kissed both babies once they were in her arms and she walked out to the living room of the suite, closing the bedroom door behind her with her foot. "Come on my little angels."

***

Don woke up in a start, a cold sweat, it just had to have been a dream. Then he looked around and they weren't there. He ran his hand over the sheets on Meryl's side of the bed and they were cold. He sat up and looked in the bassinets and they were empty. Maybe his dream was reality. He sat there in bed shaking as sweat poured down him. He tried to tell himself it was just a dream; but it wasn't working as his gaze went to the bathroom and no one was in there. He then called out for her. "Meryl? Darl?" No answer. That's when he was afraid his worst nightmare was coming true. He leapt out of bed and started throwing on the closest clothes he could fine. He didn't even care what they were; he just knew he needed to find her, he needed to find them. He just hoped they hadn't gotten far.

***

Once Meryl changed and nursed the babies, she put their blanket on the floor so she could play with them. She thought she heard something from the bedroom and listened; but then thought it was just her mind playing tricks on her. She went back to playing with the babies. That was when she saw her husband burst through the bedroom door and run out the suite. She looked quickly to make sure that nothing was around them to hurt them, she was grateful the baby monitor was close and on and she grabbed her phone and key card that were on the table by the door and ran out towards her husband; she didn't care that she was in her pajamas. Something was very wrong. He didn't even see her. He just ran through the suite like a man on a mission. She knew he wouldn't leave without saying something to her for any reason. She was terrified at what could be going on with him! As she ran after her husband she turned on the baby monitor app on her phone so she could also make sure the babies were safe. She made it to the elevator as the doors were closing and she saw her husband fall to his knees in tears when he made eye contact with her. She didn't know what to do; she just screamed his name. "DON!" Meryl pressed the down button of the elevator over and over until the elevator finally called up. She quickly got in and pressed the button for the lobby, the whole time she was watching the babies on the monitor. She hated leaving them alone and was feeling such pains of guilt about doing that; but something was extremely wrong with her husband and the babies weren't crying and she locked the suite to ensure their safety. When she got to the lobby she didn't see her husband; not knowing he had gone back upstairs. She then went back upstairs and sighed when he wasn't there. She decided to wait, pacing in the hallway, when she didn't see him. Certainly he wouldn't have left after seeing her. Her mind was running wild. She tried calling him on his cell phone and sighed that it just went to his voicemail. "Baby, it's me. I have no idea what the hell is going on with you but I am worried sick. If I did something to upset you and make you leave I am so sorry; and I have no idea what the hell it is. Please just let me know you're okay, Don Man. Please." She continued to pace all while continuing to watch the babies on her phone.