Chapter 73

The next morning Don walked out into his and Meryl's bedroom and sighed as he saw her throwing outfit after outfit onto the bed. He couldn't help but smile at the sight of her in her lace bar and underwear; he knew he shouldn't be thinking it the morning they were going to see her terrorist and rapist in a coffin, but he thought she was the most beautiful sight in the world. He didn't know how she got sexier and sexier with every passing year in her 60's; and after having twins barely 3 months ago. It wasn't just the fact that she was the most beautiful woman in the world to him; but what she meant to him that made him fall in love with her over and over again with every passing day. No doubt the last 5 days had been hell; but he knew he never could have made it through without her. He wasn't lying when he told everyone who would listen that she was the best thing that ever happened to him; she still was and she always would be. A sense of pride came over him as he thought about how she would say the same about him. He wished they didn't have to go through this today; but it was the last step to make sure that bastard was really dead. He was just relieved that he could physically be there with her. He decided to make his presence known when he saw her go to the closet and throw another piece of clothing onto the bed. He hoped he could break her stress and make her laugh. "You might get kind of cold if you go out in the snow wearing that; but I sure as hell won't complain."

"What in the hell am I supposed to wear, Don?" Meryl turned to him with tears in her eyes. "I mean what does a person wear to make sure her rapist and the fucker who tried to kill her husband over and over, who hurt her babies, is actually dead? A dress? That fucker loved it when I wore a dress. I don't want to give him the satisfaction. Jeans? Wouldn't the press have a fucking field day if they saw me go into a funeral home wearing jeans. I want to fucking celebrate and wear loud colors. What in the hell am I supposed to wear when we finally see that fucker in a coffin?"

Don immediately went over to her and wrapped his arms tightly around her; burying his face in her neck, moving his lips across her warm skin. He then kissed his way up to her ear so he could whisper into it. "You wear whatever the hell you want to wear. Who cares? You aren't doing this for the press; and you sure as hell aren't doing this for him. You are doing it for you."

"And you." Meryl whispered as she pulled away. "For us."

Don wiped away her tears. "I want you to dress for you. If you want to wear your flannel pajamas then that's what you wear. If you want to wear jeans then wear jeans. If you want to wear a dress then wear a dress. This isn't about him...this is about YOU."

"You're something else, Gummer." Meryl whispered as she rubbed her nose against his. "What would I ever do without you?"

Don shook his head as he ran his hands up and down her back. "You won't ever find out. You are absolutely breathtaking, Mrs. Gummer."

"You are the one that takes my breath away." Meryl smiled as he stood there in jeans, a black v-neck sweater and gray t-shirt underneath. "How are you feeling this morning? Are you sure this isn't too much? You are supposed to be taking it easy still."

Don had to laugh at her; that was a case of the pot calling the kettle black. "So are you."

"Don." Meryl warned; she would never get over her fear from 5 days earlier. "Seriously. Do you need some medicine? You didn't eat much breakfast; can I make you something...."

Don pressed his finger to his lips before pressing it to his wife's lips. "I'm really fine, sweetheart. I'm not that hungry; but I took my medicines."

"It looks like it's going to be another snowy day." Meryl said not letting go of her husband; especially when it was obvious that he didn't want to let go of her either. "I say that after this fucking ordeal that we come home and spend the day with each other and our babies. Maybe start a fire and have some hot chocolate as we watch a movie and cuddle on the couch? While I take care of the love of my life."